What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Persimmons

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
My dad has some persimmon trees on some property of his, and he gave a few of the fruit. They are wild and are in the mountains of North Carolina. Does anyone know how to grow these from seed?

Thanks a bundle,
~Wes~

permissions are one of our most diversly usefull trees, beyond obvious wildlife value.

You are very wise to grow this tree from seed, as this is one of our most difficult native trees to transplant sucessfully due to its course, deep root system. But the same root system gives established trees a ironclad survival rate in virtually any conditions.

Seeds are very easy to germinate, but the hardy seedlings grow slowlu unless given ideal conditions, and are tolerent of shade. (you can propigate trees from known gender by root cuttings)

Permission trees are good soil builders and are deep rooted; this makes them exellent lawn trees where quality turf is desierd

How do I go about getting them to sprout?

*ahem*

when i siaid very easy, i man very easy. almost any method of sprouting seeds will work on this plant (stratification?)

Thanks, ok, I'll see what happens. I've read they require stratification, but personally I hate stratifying things. So I'll try without. Oh, how long does it usually take one to sprout?

i suggest u try a variety of methods, and do try to stratify some incase, for some reason, they fail to germinate. The easiest way to do it is to dig a shallow hole outdoors about now and put the seeds in, then retreive them in spring to plant in the disierd location.

I think you should plant the seeds directly where u will want the tree, as, stated before, this tree handles transplanting very poorly.

It should sprout in early to mid spring if u use my suggeste methods

Ok thanks for all the help and I will try that.

Back