What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing sphagnum

So, I want to grow lush green sphagnum moss, does anyone know the best way? I am going to need high quantities. Any advice would be great
David

I'm also wondering about this. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard resting some moss on eggcrate in a moist terrarium is a good way to start. There's also this (the only thing I could find on the web, really;) http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/list/cp98all.d/0507.htm Somewhere in the forums I heard they need at least 60% humidity, and I think that they can burn if the light is too intense, too.
Does anyone know about precautions to take when starting sphagnum from a wild sample? All sorts of sphagnum live right outside my door; I'd take some inside but I'm afraid of what little beasties they might be carrying.
Good luck David!
~Joe

i dont know how much faith i would put in the 60% humidity. mine is growing in around 40%. remember this is fairly lowgrowing stuff that stays needs to stay quite wet so the humidity right around the moss is going to be high reguardless of what the rooms humidity is. wish i could give yah more info but im not actually trying to grow the stuff. its trying to over grow my poor Utrics.

i would start it in a tray with a layer peat, throw some good quality rehydrated LFS plus add some live stuff to kick it off and keep decent light over it(its currently growing in pots that are approx 12 inches below 2 sets of two 32 watt 4ft flourecents). thats about the conditions its growing in where i dont want it and its thriving

I have been successful taking LFS either South American or US (Mosser Lee), soaking it, then putting it a in a ziplock bag, toss it in a shaddy cool corner of your growing area and wait, wait some more then forget you even started this science project. Come back one day when you remember and you should have a bunch of bright green living sphagnum. Simply remove it from the bag and add portions to your CP pots and watch it spread very slowly.

Much better than field collecting but slow.

Glenn

In my flowing water bog, my sphagnum is in prime growing conditions. Water coming up underneath it continually keeps it good and wet, even on our 20% humidity days. In this situation, it grows very quickly in full sun, 12 hour photoperiod. I have to thin it every month and spread it around or it buries my VFT's and sundews. The pitcher plants just love it.

I just placed the sphagnum moss as a top dressing on the top of 5" pots that are filled with peat. They are watered via the tray system (and rain) outside.

I've been growing sphagnum moss in my Cobra Lily terracota pot for years now, and it does well year around outside (Low temps in the 20's are common in winter).

hope this helps,

Homer

Perhaps if this worked well enough we could make our own sphagnum moss....*wishful thinking*

Are only certain types of sphagnum suitable for being with CP's?

I have two containers of the stuff. I never bothered to check the humidity in my containers, but the moss is cool and damp to the touch.

One is in a plastic container that you get rotiserrie chicken in (Costco or supermarket) and use that in a northern facing window. It has a black botton, and a clear plastic top with vents. The cover keeps it from burning, plus holds in the humidity well! I only add 1/4 cup water every couple of weeks. This one's gets low light.

My next one is in a plastic container with plastic wrap loosely covering the top and hangs 2" below one of my grow lights. Needs to be watered every few days, but grows much faster and thicker than the other batch.

I have mind under my greenhouse benches, it is very cool on the pebble floor and it suspending just inches above the rocks via a vinyl coated rack I bought a lowes. The vinyl rack assures good drainage and air circulation while the runoff from the plants above drips onto the moss to keep it wet, with very shady conditions beneath the benches it grows large and quite fast.

They way I heard to do it is get a clear plastic tote with a lid(drill holes in lid), and put your starter stock in there with pure water. Place tote in a bright , indirect spot.
Some people will trade sphagnum for plants, but Dean Cook also sells it on his site.

Cheers,

Joe

Sphagnum grows like a weed in CP collections. When I use LFS for planting Sarracenia or even some orchids, it almost invariably sprouts and starts growing its lovely green mat.

I recently received live LFS and was wondering if it needs to be covered.

depends. im growing some of it now in a shallow pot along side my terrestrial Utrics. i dont cover it and it does fine. as long as the sphagnum is growing close to the surface of the water there shouldnt be a problem. its currently in a 2.5 inch high pot sitting in about 1.5 inches of water.

Wow, those are pretty much my conditions. My container is Gladware and in the shape of a square pie pan. Thanx!

Back