What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morning glories

Can morning glories be grown inside? Do they smell? how often do they flower. If anyone has experience growing them, could you help me?

If you do decide to grow them indoors, make sure they get LOADS of light. By that I mean more than what a 1000W HID will provide (OK, I'm exaggerating). They're usually happier outdoors in full sun. As far as I remember, they don't smell at all (the plant). Also, they're a weed outdoors.
smile.gif

they flower every day but their flowers only last for a couple of hours.

They are best grown outside. Plant them next to a trellis or a something tall they can latch onto.

They are great for covering the neighbors fence up and then watching them angrily sprayng them with herbacide, only to find out most morning glories keep coming back despite their efforts!
smile.gif

Hello Veritas00000! I can help you answering most of the question you may have about Morning Glories (Ipomoea) since I cultivate them year-round for sale.

Morning Glories can be cultivated indoors, but most of them will need a high light source, in order to produce flowers. If they do not have this high light source they will produce very few flowersand the leaves will grow bigger than normal. But there is a variety, that is called Ipomoea "Cameo Elegance" that do not need that much light and is more suitable to be indoors, even more, this variety is killed when is placed in a full sun or under a very high light. And a very beautiful characteristic of this plant is that its leaves are variegated (green and white). But always remember that they all will need a netting or a stand to climb.

About their aroma... most of them do not produce aroma, but there are some that do. There is a variety of Ipomoea batatas (sweet potato) that have a very light aroma. But if you are looking for a very, veru fragrant one, you must go ith Ipomoea alba (Moon Flower) This plant is part of the Morning Glories, but it flowers open at mid evening, 3 to 4 pm and will last the rest of the evening and the night. BY the next morning it will close. But each flower produce a very intense aroma, and since thisplant is very prolific, each plant will porduce at least 3 flowers per day, and with 3 flowers you can be sure the smell will cover much or less a squeare mile.

About how aften do the produce flowers. From spring to lte autumn, they can produce flowers daily, if they have the right light and temperature. This contitions will determinate the amount of flowers and the time that each flower will last. Most Morning Glories porduce flowers as the name sais, in the morning. From dawn, untill noon, as soon as temperature rices the flower will close. Though the violet-colored flowers can last for the whole day (Ipomoea indica)

Morning Gories (Ipomoea) is a very diverse and widespread genus, there are plants suitable for most of the conditions and enviroment, there are even Beach Morning Glory (Ipomoea pes-caprae) which are found covering large extention of caribbean beaches. So you can find somes that can fill your needs.

I hope this has helped you, if you have other questions, just ask
smile.gif

The genus is quite large and there are examples that are suitable for windowsill culture. I have one labelled "I. sp. Kruger Park". This is a perennial, tuberous plant that will flower 5cm blue flowers all summer, and a few over the winter if allowed. I usually keep it dry in winter, so it dies down to a resting tuber. It makes masses of seed and although I suspect some of the seed is blind, it germinates fine.
Best regards
CactusChris

There are uses for it's seeds too
smile_m_32.gif

Now now Larry, don't want to give the wrong impression to newcomers!
smile_m_32.gif

They are pretty, but a HUGE nusence. They have a tenency to take over. We have spent the last 12 yrs(as long as we have lived in the house we currently live in) trying to get rid of them. They are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. Round-up will barely put a dent in them.

Well guys, don't go telling all these peolpe that
smile_m_32.gif

Yup, they can be very invasive. I love morning glories but regret planting some. They take over my fence and herb garden and I've spent years trying to get rid of them. But every year I get vines on my fence.

Beautiful flowers though.
smile.gif

If only the Japanese cultivars would grow like weeds... They're the pickiest morning glories I've ever come across.
mad.gif

dont mess around with morning glory seeds. you need to respect the power of all plants like datura, brugmansia, Ipomoea, nightshade, etc etc

Ever notice something called "bindweed"? It is similar to but not the same as the Morning Glory. Talk about invasive...

lmao, dont forget salvia, coleus, motherwort, san pedro cactus, and NUTMEG!

but seriously, dont mess with some plants unless you know what your doing and you do your homework.

brugmansia and datura are invasive? ... i just hope i didn't kill mine!

aw:

invasive? huh?

oh... never mind. I thought you were listing invasive species. were you listing poisonous species? I'm confused
confused.gif

Back