What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

African violets

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I was given an african violet in a self-water pot for valentines. How do I give it a happy home? Light, water, etc.

give it bright light but no sun. it's self watering so i guess you don't have to water until the outter pot is drying out. I don't know about fertilizing though.

Here is a link to a site that I'm an admin at.African Violet Forum  Hope it helps!

Jerry

You have to be careful about getting water on the leaves of African violets. I can cause bleached spots. Wick watering is suggested as they need to be kept constant moist. Not soggy or they will rot. Pinch spent blooms. Water with a good fertilizer.

I have a ton of them but I abuse them. They are last on the watering list sooo...my casualties are high.
confused.gif
I do have two nice variegated ones though.

i have 3 mini ones, they are fully grown and blooming in 1.5 and 2 inch pots. i used to have a bunch of full sized ones from my grandmother who is really big on AV's. when i went to college they became my mothers which is where they still are. no room for them now anyways.

i dunno u tell me i always kill them

Hey, how long does it take for their blooms to fully open? Mine has several on it, but they open SOOO SLOWLY. One has been at least a 10 days slowly widening out its petals. Is this normal??

My mom does really well with these. Simply keeps them in potting mix in a bright area with no direct sun and keeps them moist. They have flowers on them all the time-location seems to matter a lot.

Wow everyone in my family (well those of us who can grow plants) just stick the plant in whatever mix (currently sphagnum peat moss) on the poarch or living room table and water it when its dry. So it gets top watered ever 2-3 days but sometimes only 1 time a week.

If you have african violets you should go to the link I posted to the forum,my mother has a few thousand plants so the info she posted is good.She has been growing them for about 20 years or so.

Jerry

Back