What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgotton stinky plant

Hi everyone,
A long time ago I was sent a fantastic bulb by a very kindly forum goer, but i can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'll describe it for you, it's not easy to forget. Basicly, it only appeared above ground for a few days a year, and when it did it stank of rotting meat, well, aparently it did, but both times it flowered I was out of the country so I wouldn't know, arggh; but according to my less than happy downstairs neighbour it was pretty rancid.
If anyone could tell me what it was I would be eternatly greatful.
Thanks,
R

Likely either Stapelia or Amorphophallus (= huge male reproductive organ). Amorphophallus is a bulb that sounds like what you describe and looks like its name implies. Largest florescence of any plant.

Most likely Amorophallus. Probably a Sauromatum or Dracunculus plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Feb. 18 2005,6:41)]Amorphophallus (= huge male reproductive organ)
confused.gif

Rosie, how's that cp tattoo thing going?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Feb. 19 2005,6:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Feb. 18 2005,6:41)]Amorphophallus (= huge male reproductive organ)
confused.gif
"Amorpho" usually means distorted doesn't it? It would make sense if you meantA. titanum, but the genus name simply implies "funny-shaped", as Doc Barry Rice might say.
smile_n_32.gif

Dracunculus vulgaris? Check my avatar photo.

Ahhh, thank you everyone, I'm pretty sure it was the Dracunculus vulgaris, the stinky little darling. I've had great fun looking at all the other suggestions too, I think I may need a 'stinky room' in my house, at least it'd keep the prying fingers (and noses) of my family away from my plants.
Oh, and Jim, I'm still collecting pictures for the tattoo, and I'm not letting myself get it till I'm 30, I've waited literaly years for all my tattoos, means that I know I really want them. Tattoos not being an area in which rashness would be advises as far as I'm concenrned. Fancy you remembering that, what a memory!!
Thanks again everyone,
R

Whatever you do Rosie, don't get a tribal N. bicalcarata upper pitcher on your arm!
smile_m_32.gif
I'm designing one for myself this time around.

Ooooooooooh, nice idea. When are you going to get it? Can I see it? I can just imagine those 'teeth' all tribal style, I bet it's great.
I'm going for the victorian botanical drawing look for my one, so pretty differnet from the whole tribal thing, luckily I know a great tattooist who used to be a painter so he can get the right style and feel. I'm thinking of an entire sleeve on my left side with VFTs round my wrist, working through the species till I get to neps at the top, with a huge one round the top of my shoulder, pitchers dangling onto my arm. I think the sundews will look particlalry nice, all those lovely red protuberances. My mother will be so proud!!

Consodering this will be a somewhat artistic and meaningful tattoo I don't think my parents (my mother in particular) will be bothered as much as when I got my other tattoos.

Back