What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baobab seeds

I just went to get some seeds of a baobab (Adansonia digitata).  The seedpods had dropped to the ground from a tree that I know of here in Honolulu.  The baobab is originally from the savannas of Africa, so it needs warm temperatures and will die in frost.

I’ll send any interested person about 10 seeds if they send me an SASE.  There are lots of seeds, so I don't expect to run out.  However, if there's a run on the seeds, I can't give out any more than I have, so those who reply first will have priority.  The seeds are kind of large, so the SASE needs to have bubble wrap on the inside or some other kind of protection for the seeds.  Just to be sure there’s enough postage on the SASE, 83 cents worth of stamps should do it.  PM me if you’re interested.

Oh man, I wish I saw this before I bought some from a seller on ebay! Do you have any tips on germination? I scarified mine and they are sitting submerged in water. 2 of the 5 have swelled. I plan to grow it as a bonsai.

Last year I didn't know anything about how to germinate them, and I planted about 10 seeds without doing anything special.  About 2 to 3 germinated.  Recently I saw a suggestion on a website (I Googled "baobab") to soak the seeds in boiling water, and to let them soak for 24 hours.

The pod that encases the seeds is quite interesting.  It's about 10 in. long and is shaped like a bowling pin.  It's very hard and has a velvety greenish coating on the outside.  I just wonder what the natural process is for germinating the seeds.

Larry, if your seeds don't germinate, or if you want more seeds, PM me.

Did you ever get my PM I sent it about a week ago.
-Nick

Pm'ed ya... thanks will be fun to grow!

-Jc

Nick, PMed you with my address.  I thought I did before, but I could be mistaken.

Back