What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrion plant?

How hard are these to grow? I would like to get some but I don't know anything about them. What kind of soil do they like? Are they a succulant? they look like one.

Who grows these? I know some of you grow them...

Can you be more specific. What's the scientific name? If you're refferring to Stapeliads, yes they are a succulent. Very easy to grow, beautiful flowers, and doesn't stink TOO bad
smile.gif

yes stapeliads,

So what kind of soil do they grow on and what is a good species?

I use regular potting soil, but with lots of sand added for good drainage. I like the genus Stapelia and Huernia. Huernia are more compact, but have very nice star shaped flowers. Stapelia have larger flowers, I like the hairy ones. Just do a search and you'll turn up a lot of pics. The hard part will be choosing which ones you want as they are all so cool!

Wow, had to look up Stapeliads. Not at all familiar with that plant. I've got both Smilax ecirrhata and S. illinoensis growing here and they definitely do smell like rotting flesh. We call these Carrion Plants around here. Their blooms are rather innocuous.  Nothing special about the Carrion Plants we have in this area other than that they stink.

Back