What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack in the pulpit

• Thread starter homer
  • Start date
Chris (drosera1) sent me several Jack in the Pulpit bulbs last September. I only had to pay for postage. Thanks!!
smile.gif

They are growing very fast, and I'm very happy with these plants.

jackinthepulpit.jpg

Anyone else growing these?

-Homer

cool! i've seen them and green dragons (wild). I can never take good pictures of them for some reason.

I'll get some some awesome photos of my JITP's in a short time, I've got some monster plants in my beds. I wish I could find Green Dragons (A. draconitum) in the wild. What kind of habitat were they in Alphawolf? Did they grow near Skunk Cabbage?

Thanks!

I've never seen skunk cabbage so I guess not.
and I just searched and i'm not sure if they were green dragons. They looked different than JITP's though (and someone told me they were green dragons).
I've found them in rich moist ground... I think there was some sphagnum near by... but not much. just a little patch. I dont' remember specifics.

WHOA! no. I guess they're just a variety of jack in the pulpit.
... or immature ones...

I have an all green JITP, I'll get a photo of it, once it is in full bloom. Bet it was a green variant. I was gonna say, a green dragon looks awfully bizzare and it'd make an impression on you.

Yeah, those are just regular pulpits, I'll have a pic for you tomorrow, my big green one just opened up.

I'd like to see your photos.

I have both Green Dragon and Jack In The Pulpits. The Jacks are an assortment of colors from the all green to variations that are almost a deep burgundy down to a variation that is extremely light and almost a white. It's been quite cool this spring so they are slowly but surely beginning to emerge. Some of the Jacks are up out of the ground about 2-3" but the Green Dragons are only just poking out of the ground about a half an inch.  If you can wait about 4 weeks, I should be able to get photos for you of 3 different color variations of Jacks as well as photos of my Green Dragons. Often times you find them growing in and amongst Trillium. I don't have skunk cabbage here.

Sorry for the delay, wanted to wait a while for the pulpits to open fully.

P5082884_001.sized.jpg

P5082885.sized.jpg

More pics on the way shortly!

EDIT: Laura are you saying draconitums grow around trilliums or jacks?

Lucky you, mine are just beginning to unfurl. Aren't jacks just the most wonderful plants. I love the way they sway when there is a brisk wind. They lean to and fro in unison.

No, the draconitum are growing near a vernal creek bank. The area has extremely rich soil.

I've got bloody butcher trilliums that are actually spread out all over the property.  The Trillium grandiflorum (I don't know the common name for those) are here and there but not nearly as spread out as the other Trillium. The jacks are concentrated to three areas but are growing in close proximity to may apples. Incredibly, I have 5 distinct ecosystems on this property and we're not talking hundreds of acres either.  I only have 5 acres. Come to think of it, I actually have 7 ecosystems if you count the life forms the pond can sustain as well as emergent vegetation surrounding the pond.

It should be possible to find all 3 in the same area.
Tho, You are more likely to see the draconitums with the jacks.

And just to plug the auction. Get 6 Jack-in-the-pulpit plants for your self.

Ummm, I've got Jacks coming out my wazoo but they are so beautiful that you will most assuredly get nice big fat bids for the NASC.

Here's some things I've been looking to purchase-
Squirrel Corn, (Dicentra canadensis)
Poke Milkweed, (Asclepias exaltata)
Don't know the common name, (Iliama remota)
Black Snakeroot, (Sanicula gregaria, S. odorata, and S. trifoliata)
Smooth Indigo Bush (Amorpha nitens)
Wild Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius)
Prairie White Fringed Orchid, (Platanthera praeclara)
Prairie Turnip, (Psoralea esculenta)
Nodding Ladies Tresses, (Spiranthes cernua)
Need more White Lady Slipper, (Cypripedium candidum and C. kenutckiense)
White Yarrow, (Achillea millefolium)
Don't know the common name of this, (Polygonatum canaliculatum)

A few grasses and sedges-
Carex gracilima
Carex bebbi
Carex aquatilis
Sisyrinchium campestre
Hystrix patula
Bromus kalmii

I have a couple of Jacks...wish I had more. I got seed last year but don't know if they'll germinate.

I also have trilliums. I HAD a beautiful pink trillium but the drought claimed it. My luteas are nice though...they have really multiplied this year.

I love shade and woodland flowers.
smile.gif
My shade garden was pretty nice until the "exceptional" drought destroyed most of it.
smile_h_32.gif

Unique habitat there Laura...I just wish I could get A. draconitum.
smile_h_32.gif
Interested in a trade?
smile.gif

Dustin,
Do jacks frequently grow with skunk cabbage? If so, I'll have to take my camera out and go a-hunting. There's skunk cabbage ALL OVER THE BLOODLY PLACE around here.

This Jack In The Pulpit that I have is Arisaema Atrorubens Var. Zebrinum-
11d9c6ff.jpg

This Jack In The Pulpit is Arisaema triphyllum-
c569abd1.jpg

This is probably a subspecies of A. triphyllum but I'm not sure-
14376fc0.jpg

They are now beginning to unfurl. The day time temps were in the upper 70's today and it was warm yesterday also so that was a big help.

Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) likes it really wet but likes a lot of sun. Most Jacks like it moist, not wet, but like shade. I generally don't see the two growing communally so to speak as you do Jacks and Trillium. Green Dragon and skunk cabbage would be more likely but then again GD prefers shade. I've never seen Skunk Cabbage growing by anything other than sedges for the most part but that doesn't mean much as I've only run across it a handful of times.

Trillium grandiflorum-
3d9c0d75.jpg

0ded95cd.jpg

Bloody Butcher Trillium-
edbfb136.jpg

3e78d3d0.jpg

Viola sororia but might be V. missouriensis
320247e7.jpg

834a73f9.jpg

The remnant stand of May Apples, note the Solomon's Seal in the lower right hand corner-
21b3bc0f.jpg

And look at this oddball viola I just found today-
b596c6dd.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this is?  Gosh, there are thousands of violas out there. Shot in the dark.  I only found about 5 plants.  Doubtful it is introduced but you never know.

Say nepenthes gracilis, I can't share the Green Dragon with you this year as I waited 5 years to get that local genotype. I had ordered 36 plants and was only able to get my hands on 6. I ordered them from Ender's-
http://www.endersgreenhouse.com/
Call and ask for Shannon and she will pre order for you if you are interested.  I'm on her pre order list... again... for the Poke Milkweed, the Squirrel Corn, and the American Ginseng for next year. I think I pay about $5 for each plant from her. If you can wait until my GD establish, I would be more than happy to share with you and no trade is necessary.  I think you are going to have to give it about 2 years though unfortunately. I am so sorry as I know what it is like to want a plant and you can't get your hands on it.  

The Trillium Grandiflorum was purchased 3 years ago.  The Deer ate all but a few plants. I added another 300 Trillium Grandiflorum 2 years ago. I lost the vast majority of those. I tried one last time and am doing great this year. The heritage biologists are culling the deer in an attempt to get their numbers down closer to that which they were around the early 1900's. Quite frankly, their numbers were so high they couldn't sustain their own health. I think we are currently at 7x the deer we had in 1904.  This is trouble for the environment.  There's a great atrticle out there written by Eric Ness, "Oh Deer".  You might want to track it down. Very well written.

The Violas, Trillium grandiflorum, and the Jacks have established. I also have a new community of May Apples that have established. Would you like me to send you any of those to tide you over until my GD can establish?  You are more than welcome to them. I'm really sorry about the GD.  If I had been able to get all 36 that I ordered, I would have been in a position to share this year.

I do have something else that might interest you that I ordered 24 of. Wulfennia bullii (Besseya bullii).  That's one I've waited 4 years to get but I have it now and I have 10 plants. I generally plant in 3s. Would you like plant #10?  The Besseya bullii in endangered and is extirpated here. The Green Dragon is actually quite common but being able to get one's hands on local genotype is an issue and that's a double dormancy seed which makes the plants expensive. Let me know if you are interested and pm me.

Back