What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider plant

I went to SC about two weeks ago and stopped at a local garden center in NMB and found a cheap really nice looking Spider Plant. It has probably 30-40 new shoots coming off of it! And with flowers. Anyone have this? Do you propogate the shoots? Care tips? I have it on the porch which seems to be fine right now. But I also have some planlets in my room near the window and they are fine also.

They get extremely large and have stems which come from the center, arch over the side and pup like strawberries. pinch off the "spiders" and set them about 1/2 -1" deep in soil and thats about it. They grow anywhere from dim shade to full sun, tolerate droughts and overwatering. Can't kill a spider plant. Once you think you've killed it, it'll put out a "spider" and start itself over again. They're darn near eternal plants.

Joe

spider plants will send out the large stems (with flowers and the plantlets) when it becomes rootbound. Be sure that the pot it is in has decent drainage and that you do not allow the plant to sit in water (like you might do for CPs). I prefer terracotta pots as they 'breathe'. The spider plant is about the easiest houseplant to grow, it can get huge!

there are some smallish varieties. i had 4 or 5 varieties at one point. the smallest had leaves that stayed under 12 inches long, normally 8 inches and even the runners stayed fairly short. the largest one i had was a 10 year old plant, one of the typical varigated ones, would get leaves almost 3 feet or so and had runners pushing 5 feet or more

Probably one of the easiest houseplants to grow other than sansevieria. So true about not being able to kill them - they seem to be extremely forgiving! Mine looooove high-ish humidity (tips turn brown otherwise) and Miracle-Gro about once a month or so - they are super lush and have grown to monstrous proportions over the years!

Back