What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion and Requests Here -- Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads, Please!

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
Please do not post in the auction threads unless you are bidding. "Nice plant" or "Too rich for my blood" posts make it VERY difficult for us to sort out the bids!

Feel free to chat about the auctions and make requests in this thread. Thanks!! :banana2:

Ahhhh - the auction is off to a grand opening with the Helimeistermaster plunking down a suburb plant as an exclamation point for the start of the auction -- eliciting drools from the bystanders -- and a spirited bidding war for our entertainment ---- gotta love it!! Let the games begin ... :boogie:

Where are those ceph babies with winter leaves for me to defoliate?

Put up your children for adoption people! :-))

Likewise be all manner of plant, when they be brought into the auction, then every man or woman to take their part.
Do not cry havoc, where you should but bid with modest warrant...

I know, a weee bit over the top huh :p

Would you have me false to my nature? Rather say I play the woman I am.

I have lived to see inherited my very wishes and the plants of my fancy.

Greetings my lady, I bid to thee good tidings.

Nay, I seek not to teach thy lip such scorn.
Let not the plants of thy fancy escape thy grasp.
To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day

Doubts are traitors and make thy lose the plant we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't.

To bid, or not to bid: that is the question BB

As a resident of the great nation of Canada, I was wondering if those listing seeds would possibly allow bidders from Canada?

Since y'all are sticklers for legalities, here's a quote from the CFIA website talking about exemptions for our seed permits:

K. Exemptions from Import Documentation Requirements

The following are exemptions from the requirements outlined in Section C and Section D:

Please note that these are only exemptions from import documentation and not an exemption from the requirements of the Seeds Act and Regulations. Therefore, the importer is responsible for ensuring that all requirements are met, including freedom from prohibited noxious weed seeds regardless of the exemptions that apply.

Where the imported seed lot is 5 kg or less for large seeded crop kinds (such as peas, wheat, soybeans and corn) or is 500 g or less for small seeded crop kinds (such as alfalfa, tomato or canola), neither the import declaration information nor the seed analysis certificate need be supplied See Section Y for clarification of importations with multiple small seed lots.
In order to determine whether the species is "large seeded" or "small seeded", please refer to Section Z. Species with 200 seeds or fewer per gram are considered large seeded. Species with more than 200 seeds per gram are considered small seeded.
Where the seed is being imported for conditioning (refer to Section P) or for research purposes (refer to Section Q), the seed analysis certificates do not need to include information on the percent germination.
Seed analysis certificates and import declarations are not required for lots of herb seed that are 5 kg or less, or for flower seed, tree or shrub seed, true potato seed, ginseng, seeds of aquatic plants or onion/garlic multiplier sets. Please note: This exemption does not apply to wildflowers. Importations of seed lots of wildflower species or mixtures that are greater than 500 g require an import declaration and a seed analysis certificate. Please also refer to Section Y for an explanatory note regarding lot sizes.
For non-pedigreed seed of forage species, the name of the variety need not be supplied on the import declaration. However, if a variety name appears on any documents accompanying an imported seed lot of a crop kind subject to variety registration, suggesting that the seed is of a variety not registered in Canada, that seed cannot be imported into Canada for sale.

Here's the link:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/...importation/eng/1347740952226/1347741389113#c

Note the bolded section, CPs are generally classified as shrubs or wildflowers, and are therefore do not require a certificate for import unless the amount is over 500 grams.

I just figured I would post this to see if us Canadians could get in on a little of the action? All extra costs associated with shipping will be paid, of course!

Also, for the Canadians here (all five of you!) I'll have some graomogolensis and schizandra up for bid sometime this week! Look forward to it!

~Gabriel

+1 to Gabriel`s post, there are plenty of seeds Id be interested in bidding on. Not sure if permits are required on the US side to export, but receiving seeds in Canada is no problem as long as the seeds are labeled correctly with genus and species. Have received a number of seeds from Europe and have had them opened by customs here in Canada with no troubles.

NotaNumber, you seem to be knowledgeable in this area, is there export permits needed for Americans sending seed out of country?

For sending from US to Canada

If a Phytosanitary Certificate is not needed and not a commercial shipment over a certain lot size then nothing outside a customs declaration.

CITES species would require a CITES permit.

Importing from Canada to the US however requires a Small Seed Lots Permit. If the shipment doesn't qualify as Small Seed Lots then a Phytosanitary Certificate. If over 12 lots an import permit is required in addition to the Phyto. It takes about 15 working days to get the Small Seed Lots permit and copies of the paperwork have to be sent to the sender to be included with the shipment.

moar rare neps please :p

For sending from US to Canada

If a Phytosanitary Certificate is not needed and not a commercial shipment over a certain lot size then nothing outside a customs declaration.

CITES species would require a CITES permit.

Importing from Canada to the US however requires a Small Seed Lots Permit. If the shipment doesn't qualify as Small Seed Lots then a Phytosanitary Certificate. If over 12 lots an import permit is required in addition to the Phyto. It takes about 15 working days to get the Small Seed Lots permit and copies of the paperwork have to be sent to the sender to be included with the shipment.

Thanks for the reply NaN. Customs declaration I assume is provided at the post office?

For anyone offering seeds, would you consider opening it up to Canada as well? There are a few offered by Crissytal I would bid on if shipping to Canada was an option.

I would also bid, and as everyone saw in Sundrew's thread, Canadian competition is tough competition!

more south african and south american drosera please! some great donations going on here, as well as the playful (or maybe not) banter going on between certain members. :)

More N. ventricosas (preferably lighter in color like porcelain or tan or black peristome) please. It's hard to find them. I know it sounds like a joke since it is April Fools and this is an undesirable species, but it happens to be one of my favorites. So list, list, list!

I don't mind shipping seeds to Canada. I would have to add a stipulation though. If customs did decided to trash the seeds, I couldn't be held responsible. Just to make sure that I understand, I would just need to declare them and label them properly, that's it?

I would love to see an auction for just D. schizandra. I saw the auction with the other two sisters; I don't need those though. I would also love to see some Pinguicula and Drosera auctions.

Last edited:
Yep Crissytal, all you need to do is fill out the customs declaration form like any other package or envelope!

Oh... if all I have to do is fill out a customs form for those N. (bosch x campy) x (pec x campy) seed for Canada, then I don't mind doing that either. But yeah, if border patrol destroys them I don't have any more to send because I'm putting *all* my seed up on the auction. There are three listings though. I tried to change two of their titles because I forgot to write 'seed' in the title, but the change didn't stick somehow :(

So, Canadians bid on my seed too! :awesome:

Back