User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Requests Here -- Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads, Please!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AV your mailbox is full

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doh!

not full now....

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquatic plants, please, someone...

Also small freshwater fish. Killies, livebearers, anything. Pleeease.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Drosera graminifolia - Botumirin, Minas Gerais, Brazil - FYI

Re: Drosera graminifolia - Botumirin, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Given the location this is D. spiralis under the new classification (Gonella, et al. 2013). D. graminifolia is found in only one area in narrowly defined habitats.

Paolo Gonella documents D. spiralis at Butumirin, Minas Gerais both in-situ and from herbarium specimens
    (see captions)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Album Drosera graminifolia e D. spiralis

From the article
    Re-establishment of Drosera spiralis (Droseraceae), and a new circumscription of D. graminifolia

By PAULO MINATEL GONELLA, FERNANDO RIVADAVIA & PAULO TAKEO SANO
    Specimens Examined (D.spiralis):—BRAZIL. Minas Gerais: Município de Botumirim, Rio do Peixe, 10 February 2011, Gonella et al. 372 (SPF), 06 September 2011, Gonella et al. 477 (SPF), 06 September 2011, Rivadavia 2704 (SPF)
    Given the physical appearance from the posted photo these are D. spiralis

Drosera graminifolia and D. spiralis clearly represent morphologically and ecologically distinct taxa (Table 1), as well as being geographically isolated (Fig. 1) from each other, thus supporting the specific rank. Although the leaf shape of both species is superficially very similar, D. spiralis has several distinguishing characteristics such as the absence of TSG trichomes, the presence of a dense indumentum of glandular capitate trichomes (Fig. 4F), shorter eglandular hairs, tentacle-like emergences often present on sepals (Figs. 4G, 5E), reduced petioles that are usually shorter than (or as long as) the stipules (Fig. 5G), and smaller ovoid seeds (Fig. 4H).
    Another character distinguishing D. graminifolia and D. spiralis is the mode by which young leaves unfurl from the center of the rosettes. In D. graminifolia young leaves are perfectly circular and circinate, unrolling like fern fronds (Fig. 3D), whereas in D. spiralis they are irregularly circinate, rolled up in a variety of angles and shapes, forming an ellipse bud in outline (Fig. 5F). This difference in leaf development may be merely a result of the more voluminous leaves of D. spiralis, which has petioles that are semicircular to transversely elliptic in cross section (versus very narrowly transversely elliptic in the flatter leaves of D. graminifolia).

Definition: translucent-yellow short-stalked multicellular globose (“TSG”) trichomes 0.1–0.12 mm in diameter

The "irregular circinate vernation" characteristic of D. spiralis is evident in the photo of the listing. Regular circinate vernation would be like winding a garden hose on a reel that is just as wide as the hose - a neat flat spiral. This isn't the best metric as D. spiralis at times can show regular vernation. Better metrics are the length of the eglandular trichomes (hairs), stipules and petioles - long stipules - short petioles = D. spiralis. Shorter neat, bristly looking hairs vs longer scraggly hairs = D. spiralis vs D. graminifolia. There are the presence of of a dense indumentum of glandular capitate trichomes on D. spiralis that is lacking on D. graminifolia. In the leaf cross-section D.graminifolia is more transversely elliptical vs more circular in D. spiralis. Most of these differences are clearly illustrated from the in-situ photos in Paolo Gonella's Facebook album linked above. Read the translated captions.

Of course you don't have to choose to use the new classifications and still use Diels 1906 classifications where there is only D. graminifolia. But you can't have it both ways and arbitrarily label one plant as one species and one as another when there are distinct characteristics to classify the species.

See also this thread which includes input from one of the authors of the above cited article, Fernando Rivadavia
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-02-2014 at 04:43 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Aquatic plants, please, someone...

Also small freshwater fish. Killies, livebearers, anything. Pleeease.
    Any interest in North American native fish such as Darters? I can come up with some Tesselated Darters, Etheostoma olmstedi on a day's notice. But it requires wading in 50 F water, and I don't have waders, so if you're not interested I'd rather not! And I MIGHT be able to come up with a few Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma gilberti this weekend.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-02-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would Anyone be interested in some pumice and/or cypress bark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Any interest in North American native fish such as Darters? I can come up with some Tesselated Darters, Etheostoma olmstedi on a day's notice. But it requires wading in 50 F water, and I don't have waders, so if you're not interested I'd rather not! And I MIGHT be able to come up with a few Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma gilberti this weekend.
    Elassoma gilberti, holy ishtar..... i told myself no. bettas are already a pain.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Elassoma gilberti, holy ishtar..... i told myself no. bettas are already a pain.
    mostly small live foods. baby snails, but very pretty fish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast