What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello everybody

I thought I'd share some information about a group who has contacted us in regards to growing plants for the NASC group.

Here is the email I received a couple of weeks ago:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Hey Suzanne,

I am writing to you as a means of hopefully being capable of helping
with the propagation of theses amazing plants.  I am the preesident of a newly
formed club at my university whose goals are species conservation and
restoration of natural habitats.  I attend Salve Regina University in Newport
RI and our club name is E.S.C.A.P.E. (Endangered Species Club And Plant
Evolution).  
        We have a small greenhouse and some open yards as well.  I personally
grow carnivorous plants and have good succes with them.  As a long term project
for the club i would like to propagate at least 150 Sarracenia's from seed.  I
was hoping that you could help us get some seeds that the North American
Sarracenia Conservancy would use to plant in the environment.  My plan is too
stratisfy them this winter and in the fall of 2007 ship the plants back to you
for proper placement in their natural habitats down south.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from.

James Greco
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Newport RI XXXXX

(203) XXX-XXXX

james.greco@XXXXXXX

James graciously wrote a proposal which was submitted to the NASC Board.  They are a legit group and seem to be quite earnest in their desire to grow plants (Sarracenia) for reintroduction.  They have the facilities and ability to grow the plants properly and have agreed to keep strict records on the plants.

At tonites Board meeting we discussed this and everyone is in favor of helping them out.

What we need are some donations of Sarracenia seed (total of 150 seed).  This would need to be seed of plants that can be returned to the wild when mature enough.  If anyone can help in this regard, please email or PM me and let me know what you might have and how much.

I think it would be great to help them out and encourage their direction in helping endangered plants.  These are young and energetic minds with the same concerns we have.  
smile.gif

PAK, I will give them an entire seedcap of s. alata, Jasper County, Texas areolated form. And some s. flava var. rugelii from Covington County, Alabama. Anything else? Maybe some s. alata, Stone County, Mississippi, varied color forms. I will peruse the seedcaps, and harvest them.

Awsome!! Thank you!
smile.gif

I have a full seedcap of S purpurea ssp purpurea I'll mail if you'd like.

Thank you Zac.
smile.gif

How many seeds are in a seedcap? They just want 150 seeds. But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to give them some extra as they probably won't get 100% germination. It would be nice to give them some variety so this is good!

Ok...I just want to clarify a few things.

Anyone who wishes to donate seed to this group, please either EMAIL me (PlantAKiss@aol.com) or PM me BEFORE you send any seed.  Let me know what the seed is.  Then I'd like the seed sent to ME.  I will collect and pack the seeds and send it so they get ALL the seed at one time.  It would not be good to have seed straggling in here and there and then they end up with way more than they want and can handle...or not what we promised them.

If anyone can donate 20-30 seeds or so of any given species, that would be great!  If we don't get that much variety, then we can adjust how much of each species they get.  If they end up with 200 seeds, big deal.  They just don't need 1,000+ seeds as they can't grow all that.

But we need to get this done NOW as this is the time to prep your seed.

Please contact me if you wish to help out...ASAP!  I will keep this thread updated as to what seed is being offered so we know when we've hit the desired number.

Thanks so much!

Suzanne

OMG i think thats wonderful these people want to help. We need lots more people out there that are willing to do the same..

PAK, So far I have for them a full seedcap of s. alata, Jasper County, Texas "areolated form", Hurricane Creek White (no JBL not the ones you gave me, but my own seedcap), s. alata, Stone County, Miss., all the various color forms, and s. flava var. rugellii from Covington County, Alabama. Bagging them up soon.

Update: I have seeds being sent to me from Zac and CP30.

Bugweed...get a-movin'. Bag 'em up! I'll PM you my address.
smile.gif

Do you think it would be a good idea to invite them to NC to work on a plant rescue? That is if we get the permission.

I think that would be an experience that they may truly injoy.

Awsome idea! Although it might be a long and expensive trip for them. But it sure couldn't hurt to make the offer. I know they'd love it!

Back