What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location-specific Sarracenia for NASC collection

Houstonherp

Send in the Clones
Hello all -

As part of the NASC's mission, we are to "...serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation." To help us complete this mission, the Grower Committee is asking for your help!

We are currently accepting donations of location-specific plant material (seeds and/or plants) for the purposes of building and augmenting the NASC Sarracenia collection. The plant material must be legally obtained, and correctly identified as to species and location. Location information, preferably GPS coordinates, must be provided to the NASC Head Grower (me) via E-MAIL (headgrower@nasarracenia.org) ONLY!

Please do not reply in this thread with any location information, as we do not want this information to be public knowledge. Please DO reply to this thread with any questions you have.

With the help of you, the CP community, we hope to preserve these wonderful plants for generations to come! Please consider donating plant material to this worthy cause.

All donors will remain anonymous if desired.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Mike

what if we have plants obtained legally, but no proof of their legality?

How would I go about legally collecting plants for you? Or could you point me to a source on who to contact in my area (SE Michigan) to look into the legalities?

JLAP -

If you can tell me a little about the legality of the plants in question, it would make it easier for me to reply to your question. Where did the plants originate from, and how did you obtain them?

Thanks!

Mike

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexen84 @ July 05 2006,2:16)]How would I go about legally collecting plants for you? Or could you point me to a source on who to contact in my area (SE Michigan) to look into the legalities?
Hexen84 -

There is a set procedure in place for legally collecting plants for the NASC. This first and foremost involves an NASC member obtaining the written permission to collect from the landowner.

I would suggest that you contact Mark Todd, the NASC Head of Conservation, at conservation@nasarracenia.org to discuss what needs to be dome to collect for the NASC. You might also want to contact Glenn Petersen (Glenn on TerraForums), who is the Regional Head Grower for Michigan, about how you might be able to assist with the growing aspect of our work.

Above all, I hope that all those interested in the efforts of the NASC will become involved! Even if that's only by financially supporting the NASC as a member, your help is appreciated. Join us today!

Good Growing,

Mike

thank you for pointing me in the right direction =)

Bumping this topic. Anyone interested in helping form the NASC collection?

PMed you the other day. Let me know how to proceed.

I'll help. I've just expanded my bog space. Let me know what's what.:)

Well, I know I'll have some stuff when Sarra seed harvest time rolls around.

CP30 - I received your Grower Committee paperwork just today; welcome to the Grower Committee! More info via PM/e-mail.

EST and Boglodyte - E-mails/PMs are sent, and I hope to hear from both of you as well.

The NASC Grower Committee is growing, everyone...PM me to join the team!

Good Growing,

Mike

I posted this in the Trading Post forum, but thought I would also add it to this thread...

Here's your chance to help the NASC Collection grow!

I have packets of S. alata seeds. There are 40 or so seeds per packet. These are seeds produced from LEGALLY collected plants from the Big Thicket National Preserve in Tyler County, Texas. This location and species is coded as NASC site ALA-TX001.

I will trade these for location-specific Sarracenia plant divisions or seeds from plants that were legally collected. Preference will be given to GPS-specific plants/seeds, then those with exact road directions, then those that are county-specific.

Remember that these plants/seeds will be added to the NASC Collection, and are not for my personal gain. I am strictly trying to increase the diversity of locations and species which we have represented so far.

Anyone who wants to trade for these seeds will need to E-MAIL (headgrower@nasarracenia.org) or PM me. Please do not reply in this thread with location information.

Thanks, and good growing!

Back