Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: VERY ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRONG, BFT! According to Cites 1 restrictions, you cannot sell them across state lines, trade them across state lines, but CAN give them away for free. Making money on them is illegal if you cross Provincial/State lines. I didn't make up these rules, the Feds did. If he has done much for CP, then he should also be aware of these rules. AND, it is International Law too. So, if you don't know already, now you do. BTW, you can give out as many S. oreophila seed as you want, sell them within your state, whatever, BUT, once they cross state lines, and you have sold them, YOU are dead in the water. And in deep, deep trouble. Barry Rice backs me on this, so go to the Conservation Forum, and get an education on the endangered species and what is legal, and what is not. Cites police?? Maybe. But these plants are being sold ILLEGALLY, and it must be stopped.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarrs are threatened by habitat loss, not by somebody in British Columbia selling seeds on eBay. Yes, some or all of the sales will be illegal, but the seller is more of an ally of Sarracenia conservation than an enemy. I'm not saying NASC or its people should condone illegal sales, but this certainly seems like a case of choosing the wrong battle.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Then breaking the law is Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bug, I've filed a complaint with ebay.

Everyone else: If this guy was really just so darn concerned about the continuance of the species, I don't think he'd be selling them. My guess is that he'd be a little bit more concerned with the LAW and making the seed accessible. If he's just such a derned good guy that he wants to get the seeds out, then there's a bunch of great ways he could do so a) more effectively and b) legally.

Who here knows the source? I know I don't. I don't think you do either. So as far as anyone's concerned: Illegal sales are illegal.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry points out over and over that growing Sarrs in you backyard* and shipping their seeds to every corner of the globe is not conservation. Conservation is protecting, preserving and restoring the natural habitat and the natural/native populations.

Then there's the possibility that the guy is not selling oreophila seeds at all, just some other species or hybrid. After all it will take 2-4 years, if ever, for some one to determine what the seeds actually are

*Unless of course your backyard is their natural habitat. Lucky you, need a housesitter?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen, Bugweed ! Do it right or don't do it at all.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone who might otherwise be in the market for a poached plant can be satisfied with a captive-bred plant or even some seeds, that's conservation. As I said, NASC members shouldn't condone what the seller is doing, but it's far from the greatest threat to Sarracenias. CITES can seem like a really stupid law in this situation yet, like many laws, it's better than any plausible alternative. In a situation like this, nevertheless, I look the other way and tell Colonel Klink, "I see nothing."
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce!! I am suprised at you! You want a few oreophila seeds?? Say 50 or so? I give them for free. Money is what is the worst thing about CP. Especially Peter's prices at California Carnivores. nice plants, yes, but overpriced because of a dollar value placed on what should be available to everyone. So when you coax this guy to break the law, do it without me!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast