What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

Oh no no no I love money lol. I meant that poachers are motivated by money and that the plants are destroyed in the process lol. Auctually that's not lol but i compulsively say lol so lol lol.

Hurrah capitalism! It's sweet.

ebay's ethics are a joke, they pulled some of my military surplus items from auction because they said that are related to assault rifles (it was web gear, magazine pouches) but will sell the most powerful hallucinogen ever discovered to children without a care in the world, even after it was on the front page of USA Today and ABC news... and yes they are well aware of it

grrrrrrrr.... sorry, rant mode off

Av

edit: removed url to the specific auctions after I calmed down

It's perfectly legal (at the moment..cross your fingers!) and not regulated by the FDA so they can do what they want with it. Most responsible dealers put a warning on the package anyways. Besides it's harmless.

Ebay didn't do jack squat when my mom got ripped off on Tanzanite.

Web gear? Isn't that just.. netting? You gotta be kidding me that they took that off. That's dumb.

JLAP,

I'm a ex-partier from way, way back..... but this stuff is beyond safe or fun in any sense of the word. I have personally seen it take 3 men to hold a woman down after smoking "s...a" concentrate... (she believed she was engulfed in flames)

but that is way off this thread's subject, just an example of ebay's warped sense of integrity

Av

Ok, I'll agree with ya that's it's in no way fun whatsoever lol.

ANYWAYS Has anyone gotten a reply from ebayshizzle yet? What about the dude?

Jeztor, I have no way to contact this guy that I know of. Otherwise, I would have taken my beef to him instead of you guys.

If you are a registered eBay user you can click on the "ask the seller a question" button and it will relay an email message to the seller.

Tried that out. Said I had to register to talk to this guy. BULLHOCKEY!!!! Anyone else an e-bay member and want to get ahold of this fellow??

I'd be happy to copy and paste whatever you write up that you'd like to say and send it on your behalf, the founder of NASC that is.

I'd be happy to do the same, Bugweed.

Registering is pretty simple and doesn't require any sort of payment information if you wanted to do it yourself.

Send me a PM if you'd like to take me up on my offer. I have an established account as both a seller and buyer.

I just sent your message to him bugsy.

I'll post it here for everyone to see if you want or I can keep it private. Your call.

The guy in NC that bought S. oreophila seeds needs to be talked to also. Especially since he sells CPs and seeds.

I just got reading this, and I skimmed it a bit, so forgive me if I ask something that is redundant.
Are seeds covered by CITES as the plants are? Seed can cross state lines but not international, right?
The reason I ask is the ICPS sells this and S. rubra ssp alamamensis and ssp jonesii, and the stipulation is USA only.
Just curious of the distinction.

Cheers,

Joe

Permission by the powers that be is why ICPS can do what it does. According to CITES 1 restrictions, not even seed is free from this Law. It would be better if they allowed us to freely interexchange captive material for the benefit of one and all, but extreme reaction without thought is what got us into this mess to begin with. And it should be changed to the benefit of alleviating poaching the bogs because we have the material already. Since that makes sense, they don't like it. Not complicated enough.

Ahh, well thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers,

Joe

ICPS has a permit that allows them to "sell" the CITES seeds. They will supply you with documentation so you can show you obtained the seeds legally.

NASC's reaction to things like this eBay sale could be to try coaxing ...

First off...this post wasn't made by "NASC." This was a post made by the individual Bugweed IN the NASC forum simply because its about illegal sale of Sarracenia seed. The entity NASC has nothing to do with this particular issue.

I'd bet there are piles of people out there who'd give me their right testicle to get a few of my seeds. But heck, CITES says I can't do it, so I let the seeds sow themselves in my yard.

You are right. There ARE tons of people who would give...well, who want these plants an awful lot. But CITES only says you cannot SELL the plants/seeds across state/country lines. You can GIVE them away, as Dean Cook has. Personally if Iwere in your shoes and had all those seed you say you have, I'd be giving them away like crazy! Like Bruce said, having them legally in collections goes a long way to reducing the need/desire to poach the plants out of their natural habitat.

I'm suprised eBay didn't pull the listing though.

NASC should have a reaction. Someone should be designated as the point person who can be notified of things like that EBay listing. That person can try to contact the seller in a friendly manner to explain what NASC is seeking to do and what the laws are. If that fails, that person (acting on behalf of NASC or not?) would contact eBay.

The first time I looked at the listing, there were already a few bids and the price was at $20.50. I don't know if everyone withdrew their bids or if the seller cancelled them or if eBay did it. But something happened.

Good idea, Bruce. NASC should not be backpedaling on this issue. A way should be found to talk to this guy for sure, and set him straight. S. oreophila can be gifted as a plant or seed, as long as there is no profit being made across state lines. You can sell within your state, but why? So many people want these seed, and we should, as a CP community, share them with each and everygrower on this forum from this country. Other countries could have a similar arrangememnt so free exchange within your country can take place. Quit making it hard. GIVE!!! It really IS worth it!!!!!!

Back