What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

Oh Cripes, I forgot this all stemmed from an eBay auction, lol. Yes, if the seller has to have (and those with active importation correct me if I am wrong) Phyto to export and , more importantly, the buyer has to have proper paperwork on his end(as the document Pyro stated for US citizens). I would advise care in importing from those you do not know. You can get into trouble even if you have your ducks-in-a-row on your end.

Cheers,

Joe

The seller only needs a phyto certificate if the importing country requires it, not every country does.
The plants in this case are CITES I so both parties will need CITES papers issued by the CITES management authority. If the plant were CITES II the exporter would require a permit issued by CITES management authority. Import of CITES II will very by country, in the US we need permit PPQ621.

Correct(by my reckoning),and AU is a phyto country.
Thanks for the summary.

Joe

Drosera madagascariensis is not endangered.

Unfortunately, there's no reference link on wiki. It might be true in Madagascar, bz they facing some serious environmental issues right now. However, it's not listed in CITES, which is the source to check to see what species are required to have permits for importing.

http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html

Money is the most important thing. The human's ethnics are very flawed. If they think something is right, they feel that they can do it. That may be the problem. Money may be the problem. It doesn't matter what the problem is as long as there is still the problem. That is what CITES is for. I am not taking sides in this argument. I agree with most, but why even bother arguing? People love money. Conservation may be important, but the humans mind circulates upon wealth. The law cannot stop the love of wealth.*

*That had to be said sooner or later.

Wealth is the leading cause of our problems in the US. The American way is leading us all to doom. Owning 10,000 sq ft McMansions and having 2 sports cars an escalade and some jet ski's is the dream that is publicized as being COOL. Everyone wants to be cool and rich. If the American way were to shift towards say the Pacific Northwest way we would all be living in Yurts with solar panels and plug and play foresters, or we would all walk! OMG! lol anyways the Law can make it easier on the common man who works his arse off and when one of his daughters gets sick he goes bankrupt because health care vs food on the table is a no brainer. Make living easier. Make acceptance of just living more COOL and we would not be in this situation. If everyone on earth consumed as much as America we would need 5 earths! WE are using all the 3rd world countries resources disallowing them a chance to rise. Globalization what are everyones thoughts?

The listing has been removed from EBAY

not sure if its illegal for people from other countries. but once again, S. oreophila seed on Ebay

Not oreophila seeds, but have you guys seen that so called Sarracenia "drought sale" on ebay? Seems a little fishy to me.
They aren't poachers, because the plants are mostly all hybrids, but still fishy nonetheless.

Has anyone had a mass amount of Sarrs stolen from them? lol

Dart - read the description from the seller
he/she is having to sell off many of their plants because of a water use restriction or something...
we had to sell of quite a few orchids back in florida for that reason :\

that's unfortunate. seems like this is going to become more common. Was Australia a preview of things to come in the US?

Dart - read the description from the seller
he/she is having to sell off many of their plants because of a water use restriction or something...
we had to sell of quite a few orchids back in florida for that reason :\

I know, I've read. It just seems strange to me that they wouldn't have a reserve of water or something for a collection that size.

Kinda hard to reserve water when there is a 20% reduction on it
and if its because of a drought, there isnt likely to be any rain :| lol
and the tap water there in Cali is probably hard as hell, i know Bella said his tapwater was 300-400 ppm in NoCal, cant imagine its much better anywhere else.
plus, 50 bareroot plants isnt that many :\

Kinda hard to reserve water when there is a 20% reduction on it
and if its because of a drought, there isnt likely to be any rain :| lol
and the tap water there in Cali is probably hard as hell, i know Bella said his tapwater was 300-400 ppm in NoCal, cant imagine its much better anywhere else.
plus, 50 bareroot plants isnt that many :\

Eh, I suppose.
Just wanted to bring it to attention in case it really is a scam.

yeah i can see where you would think it could be one Dart, i guess everyone should just keep an eye out

I just reported the oreophila seeds. Let's see what happens...

Not oreophila seeds, but have you guys seen that so called Sarracenia "drought sale" on ebay? Seems a little fishy to me.
They aren't poachers, because the plants are mostly all hybrids, but still fishy nonetheless.

Has anyone had a mass amount of Sarrs stolen from them? lol

Look at the listing -- it says 'the heart of Sonoma County' as the location. That would be where Peter's nursery is. I have been to Peter's nursery a few times and the pots that the drought plants are planted are look much like the ones he uses.

So ... I see three possibilities
1) Peter is selling some plants via ebay
2) Someone who buys from Peter is selling plants
C) Someone who steals from Peter is selling plants.

Back