What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-situ conservation methods.

Finch

Whats it to ya?
As I understand it, NASC is attempting to develop an Ex-situ conservation collection representing genetic diversity of species in the genus. For those pf you who don’t know what Ex-situ means, here is a defenition from wikipedia that is actually correct:
Ex-situ means literally, "off-site conservation". It is the process of protecting an endangered species of plant or animal by removing part of the population from a threatened habitat and placing it in a new location, which may be a wild area or within the care of humans.

First of all I believe that its high time we start calling it a Ex-situ conservation pprogram. That is the technical term for the type of conservation method being used. Several universities have maintained types of ex-situ programs for awhile now, and are quite efficient in maintaining it.
I have some questions –
1) has the NACS contacted any other existing Ex-situ conservation programs for recommendations on how to proceed?
2) What is the living record area going to be like? Is there going t be central collection?

Hi Finch -

Thanks very much for your comments here! It is great to see you taking an interest in our plans; I hope I can answer your questions fully.

As I understand it, NASC is attempting to develop an Ex-situ conservation collection representing genetic diversity of species in the genus. For those pf you who don’t know what Ex-situ means, here is a defenition from wikipedia that is actually correct:

First of all I believe that its high time we start calling it a Ex-situ conservation pprogram. That is the technical term for the type of conservation method being used. Several universities have maintained types of ex-situ programs for awhile now, and are quite efficient in maintaining it.

Agreed. I would say that this is going to be the primary strategy that the NASC will use to assist in the conservation of plants of the genus Sarracenia. However, we also hope to be able to assist with in situ conservation efforts as well. We have a project in the works right now that will demonstate this rather well. More on this at a later date. We also will be assisting other conservation programs in the future, provided they are aligned with the NASC mission statement.

I have some questions –
1) has the NACS contacted any other existing Ex-situ conservation programs for recommendations on how to proceed?

Actually we have. This is an ongoing effort, though, and not one that happens overnight. At present, we are taking things somewhat slowly, to ensure that things are done correctly. But in the process, we have been corresponding with people from the ICPS, as well as other organizations, both non-profit and for-profit, about various avenues to pursue in pursuit of Sarracenia conservation.

Again, this doesn't happen overnight, and I'm certain that we will be working with a vast number of organizations as time goes by.

2) What is the living record area going to be like? Is there going t be central collection?

Our present plans call for a network of NASC Growers throughout the U.S., acting as a decentralized NASC Collection. Each grower will have certain plants in his care, but the plants remain the property of the NASC, and may be used for any conservation activities the board deems necessary, including education and/or reintroduction (when requested and authorized by the landowner).

The possibility exists for there to be a more centralized NASC Collection in the future. We are working with multiple parties, exploring our options as they become evident. I see great things on the horizon for the NASC. Why don't you join us?!

Good Growing,

Mike

Back