What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Damage

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Tuesday and Wednesday night's we had a scattered late frost in eastern NC. I didn't think it was going to be anything to worry about because it was suppose to be very brief. Being right on the cost I thought the sarr flowers would escape damage.

I have been spending a lot of time in the last two weeks doing plant surveys for NASC on The Nature Conservancy's Green Swamp preserve.
While there yesterday, I discovered that close to 40% of the flowers were killed by the frost. Most effected was S.flava. I did see dead S.purpurea flowers , but due to later development there was less damage.

I don't know how bad it is yet because last night we had another brief frost. I'll try to get back there soon to see if more were killed last night. To make this even worse, last year we had a really bad frost that killed 80% of the sarr flowers. This is the second year in a row.

261092630O125504179.jpg

261092634O468353262.jpg

261092637O857487661.jpg

261092639O221753544.jpg

While this will severely effect seed production, especially considering this happened last year too, the plants themselves are fine.

That really sucks :(

WOW a new member. Welcome to the forums Trapper7. :welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome Ozzy. I'm so happy to be here! But maybe you should keep this thread ontopic. I'll start another thread to introduce myself, if I want :) Thanks :wave:

Wow, just got here and the new member is already trying to tell a mod what to do.

You're so predictable ;) Anyway... When will you go back to that site and see if more plants were killed by the frost last night? Keep up the good work! :bigthumpup: :water:

That stinks. The late freeze this year wasn't quite as bad as the late one last year... which had ice on the trees and the like.

i wouldn't have thought it was going that far south.

I moved my plants into my greenhouse it had warmed up but it's suppose to snow and possibly freeze, I don't want my oreophila flower stalk to turn black at the tip.

That's Mother Nature. NC's Sarracenias will put more effort into vegetative growth than into seed production this year.

Aw, that's horrible.

Back