Thread: NASC Sarracenia alata waking up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NASC Sarracenia alata waking up

The Sarracenia alata that I'm taking care of for as a NASC grower are doing quite well. With this early warm weather, most are putting out new growth, making it a great time to repot the seedlings to give them some more room.

Sarracenia alata by Kitkor, on Flickr

Sarracenia seedlings by Kitkor, on Flickr

Sarracenia seedlings by Kitkor, on Flickr

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're so cute when they're small but that first pic is just beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a broader pic of your grow area? It's interesting to see how Northern growers handle the stress of growing a SE US plant.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautifuul
    one question whre do you buy the plastic that you have for the greenhouse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like good ol' bubble wrap. I've used it as well to better insulate cold frames/greenhouses in Zone 7A (near Washington DC). There is expensive kinds you can buy with mylar backing, etc., but the wrap you can buy by the roll at an office supply/packing place works well.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, I just put together a thread with a collection of images from my greenhouse so you can get a better idea of where they're being grown: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=130233
    I also grow some of the SE US plants outdoors and have no problems with overwintering. But seedlings would likely be carried away by critters if planted in the ground, so I have to keep them in the greenhouse.

Joshua and Jay - Yep! Bubble wrap. I'm Zone 5b, central Ohio, and opted for the expensive kind from a greenhouse supplier (scroll down). It's thicker so I can reuse it from year to year and it's only affixed to the greenhouse by an easily removed adhesive. A cheap(er) solution would be the office supply store, but I can't image it would be the same quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that was very helpful. It looked initially like a bubble-wrap frame, and since Nebraska is the wind capital of the World, it would be gone in a day.
    Using the bubble wrap as insulation is brilliant.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genius

Your plants are looking good.

Using an encasing such as that bubble wrap, at what low outdoor temperature do you generally try to bring them inside or further insulate them (with what?), or does the bubble wrap provide even enough insulation that temps down to ~15-20 are still no trouble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Veronis! Without the electric space heater, the temperatures would go well below freezer. The bubble wrap just inhibits the heat loss moreso than just the plain polycarbonate panel walls. The space heater was set to about 40 degrees F. I didn't want the pots to freeze solid and I knew that high winds could whisk away heat even faster.

They stayed out in the greenhouse all winter. Outside temps were near zero some nights and a min/max thermometer never showed a temp below 39 inside. The little space heater that could!

Also? <3 Harrisburg. I went to LVC in Annville for undergrad and worked at MJ's Coffeehouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkor View Post
    Thanks, Veronis! Without the electric space heater, the temperatures would go well below freezer. The bubble wrap just inhibits the heat loss moreso than just the plain polycarbonate panel walls. The space heater was set to about 40 degrees F. I didn't want the pots to freeze solid and I knew that high winds could whisk away heat even faster.

They stayed out in the greenhouse all winter. Outside temps were near zero some nights and a min/max thermometer never showed a temp below 39 inside. The little space heater that could!
    Oh okay, I couldn't imagine that bubble wrap could be all that was needed for temps below freezing.

Space heaters certainly make good insulation lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkor View Post
    Also? <3 Harrisburg. I went to LVC in Annville for undergrad and worked at MJ's Coffeehouse.
    Right on, Annville is just 20 or 30 minutes East of here. I looked up MJ's; I'm going to have to check that out sometime soon. I like places that keep it old school.