Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding the Recent Giveaway Thread

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While some people say it is contradictory to the goal, I think it may be somewhat but not completely. As he has said, it is good to get the gene pool from the population out there into cultivation... Perhaps if you were to do the giveaway, you could have the participants fill out an application made and reviewed by your organization to make sure that the receiver of the plants could cultivate them... Maybe make them sign an agreement that says they must pollinate the plants they get with plants of the same species before making hybrids. Maybe even give two that are about the same size to each winner of the giveaway that way they could reproduce together and keep the population's gene pool pure?

Thanks for your consideration on this, and thank you for giving us the opportunity of a giveaway at least for a bit!
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 01-05-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: remove name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although this is somewhat a disappointment to those participating in the drawing, I'm happy that the plants are going to be used to continue the efforts of NASC. bravo to Presto for coming clean on this. Thanks for all you guys do to protect CP's in the wild.

-Ryan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this makes me want to become a grower even more. if i cant be involved at ground level, being a grower to maintain species is an awesome concept.

missunderstanding happen and the person that put on the giveaway should not feel bad at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pineapple, while the intentions of the giveaway were certainly good, the problem was rather with the methodology. Actually, the guidelines for the grower's program are similar to what you're describing. It would be ideal to propagate and be able to distribute these plants more-or-less freely, and in my personal opinion that should be one of NASC's long-term goals. Having a certain plant widely available in cultivation not only is good for preserving that plant's genetic lineage, but also serves as a disincentive to poaching (because the value of the plant is lowered). But our first priority is to make sure that THESE plants are grown under our guidelines, so that we will be able to do things like this in the future.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoah! Everyone? I have spoken up yet!
    Yeah I agree, lol. I hope nobody feels embarrassed by a simple mistake. I makes tons every day!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    Thanks for the understanding guys! Like I said there was just a simple miscommunication regarding this whole issue.

It really warms my heart to see that everybody's reaction is so positive, and that you know we're trying to do what's best for the plants. CP people are really the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12