Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the Recent Giveaway Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the Recent Giveaway Thread

We apologize for the misunderstanding regarding a recent giveaway thread. There was a simple miscommunication between individuals, and that giveaway will not be occurring. Plants collected from the wild are entered into the NASC propagation program, and only members in good standing on the grower's committee (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/) can grow the plants mentioned in the deleted giveaway thread.

These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location. If you are a NASC member, and you're qualified and interested in becoming part of the NASC grower's committee, you may apply here (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/). Plants in the program remain the property of the NASC, but we provide material support if you require it for their cultivation.

Thank you, and apologies once again!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooooh. bummer-but very wise and understandable. Best of luck with NASC's conservation efforts!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location.
    This just made my day..
    I didn't feel a giveaway was the right thing to do with rescued plants. This course of action is MUCH better IMO.
    Thanks again NASC for all of your conservation efforts.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ah- I figured there were already some tossed into this and these others were additional ones (more taken than places to grow them for example ).
    Nicely done. =)
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that wild plants were being given away... seems a bit contradictory to the goal..I'm disappointed, but still, glad the plants will be cared for.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location. If you are a NASC member, and you're qualified and interested in becoming part of the NASC grower's committee, you may apply here (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/). Plants in the program remain the property of the NASC, but we provide material support if you require it for their cultivation.
    I totally agree with what you're doing
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the understanding guys! Like I said there was just a simple miscommunication regarding this whole issue.

It really warms my heart to see that everybody's reaction is so positive, and that you know we're trying to do what's best for the plants. CP people are really the best.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking...

The NASC has just shot up in terms of ethics because of this. A very good decision, and it puts my mind to rest.

As a passive observer (in another country) I'm pleased that the best is being done for the plants.

I'll join up with the NASC soon. Seems like it's worth $10 to support the conservation efforts y'all put up.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While some people say it is contradictory to the goal, I think it may be somewhat but not completely. As he has said, it is good to get the gene pool from the population out there into cultivation... Perhaps if you were to do the giveaway, you could have the participants fill out an application made and reviewed by your organization to make sure that the receiver of the plants could cultivate them... Maybe make them sign an agreement that says they must pollinate the plants they get with plants of the same species before making hybrids. Maybe even give two that are about the same size to each winner of the giveaway that way they could reproduce together and keep the population's gene pool pure?

Thanks for your consideration on this, and thank you for giving us the opportunity of a giveaway at least for a bit!
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 01-05-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: remove name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although this is somewhat a disappointment to those participating in the drawing, I'm happy that the plants are going to be used to continue the efforts of NASC. bravo to Presto for coming clean on this. Thanks for all you guys do to protect CP's in the wild.

-Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast