What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding the Recent Giveaway Thread

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
We apologize for the misunderstanding regarding a recent giveaway thread. There was a simple miscommunication between individuals, and that giveaway will not be occurring. Plants collected from the wild are entered into the NASC propagation program, and only members in good standing on the grower's committee (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/) can grow the plants mentioned in the deleted giveaway thread.

These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location. If you are a NASC member, and you're qualified and interested in becoming part of the NASC grower's committee, you may apply here (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/). Plants in the program remain the property of the NASC, but we provide material support if you require it for their cultivation.

Thank you, and apologies once again! :sorry:

ooooh. bummer-but very wise and understandable. Best of luck with NASC's conservation efforts!

These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location.

This just made my day..
I didn't feel a giveaway was the right thing to do with rescued plants. This course of action is MUCH better IMO.
Thanks again NASC for all of your conservation efforts.

ah- I figured there were already some tossed into this and these others were additional ones (more taken than places to grow them for example ???).
Nicely done. =)
Andrew

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that wild plants were being given away... seems a bit contradictory to the goal..I'm disappointed, but still, glad the plants will be cared for.

These plants will be grown in cultivation for the goals of maintaining their genetic lineage and eventual reintroduction at or near their native location. If you are a NASC member, and you're qualified and interested in becoming part of the NASC grower's committee, you may apply here (http://www.nasarracenia.org/about/committees/grower/). Plants in the program remain the property of the NASC, but we provide material support if you require it for their cultivation.

I totally agree with what you're doing

Thanks for the understanding guys! Like I said there was just a simple miscommunication regarding this whole issue.

It really warms my heart to see that everybody's reaction is so positive, and that you know we're trying to do what's best for the plants. CP people are really the best. :)

I was thinking...

The NASC has just shot up in terms of ethics because of this. A very good decision, and it puts my mind to rest.

As a passive observer (in another country) I'm pleased that the best is being done for the plants.

I'll join up with the NASC soon. Seems like it's worth $10 to support the conservation efforts y'all put up.

While some people say it is contradictory to the goal, I think it may be somewhat but not completely. As he has said, it is good to get the gene pool from the population out there into cultivation... Perhaps if you were to do the giveaway, you could have the participants fill out an application made and reviewed by your organization to make sure that the receiver of the plants could cultivate them... Maybe make them sign an agreement that says they must pollinate the plants they get with plants of the same species before making hybrids. Maybe even give two that are about the same size to each winner of the giveaway that way they could reproduce together and keep the population's gene pool pure?

Thanks for your consideration on this, and thank you for giving us the opportunity of a giveaway at least for a bit! :blush:

Last edited:
Although this is somewhat a disappointment to those participating in the drawing, I'm happy that the plants are going to be used to continue the efforts of NASC. bravo to Presto for coming clean on this:clap:. Thanks for all you guys do to protect CP's in the wild.

-Ryan

this makes me want to become a grower even more. if i cant be involved at ground level, being a grower to maintain species is an awesome concept.

missunderstanding happen and the person that put on the giveaway should not feel bad at all.

Pineapple, while the intentions of the giveaway were certainly good, the problem was rather with the methodology. Actually, the guidelines for the grower's program are similar to what you're describing. It would be ideal to propagate and be able to distribute these plants more-or-less freely, and in my personal opinion that should be one of NASC's long-term goals. Having a certain plant widely available in cultivation not only is good for preserving that plant's genetic lineage, but also serves as a disincentive to poaching (because the value of the plant is lowered). But our first priority is to make sure that THESE plants are grown under our guidelines, so that we will be able to do things like this in the future.

Whoah! Everyone? I have spoken up yet!
Yeah I agree, lol. I hope nobody feels embarrassed by a simple mistake. I makes tons every day!

Joe

Thanks for the understanding guys! Like I said there was just a simple miscommunication regarding this whole issue.

It really warms my heart to see that everybody's reaction is so positive, and that you know we're trying to do what's best for the plants. CP people are really the best. :)

Back