What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our foundations name

As the name gripping drags on.........why not just keep the current poll and leave it at that.I dont want to sound mean,but cant we just vote and get on with it?If we cant agree on a name,we will never get anywhere with this project.If I have offened anyone I'm sorry,but there is to much gripping about the name choices.

Jerry
sad.gif

Allow me to field your questions Herenorthere.

We have over 18 pages of "what we are going to be" in another thread, I realize its a lot to read, but it is very insightfull.

Yes, there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes. We have completed a rough draft of our business plan and mission statement, both which are being revised as we speak (a great thanks goes out to Noah for his help, and to Carl Mazyr, Barry Rice, Paul Temple and Brooks Garcia for your insight)

It has been decided upon what we shall be. We shall be a group or foundation or society, however you would like to put it, that is dedicated to preserving the genetic diversity of the sarracenia plants. That is our foremost goal. All other goals are second. We plan to create a "gene bank" so to speak.

You are correct in assuming why the "name" is holding us up. We can not begin the long process of becoming incorporated without it, and without incorp. we can not achieve our goals in a "legal" method.

As far as the difference between conservancy and preservation, there isn't much. You decide.

con·ser·va·tion P Pronunciation Key (knsûr-vshn)
n.
The act or process of conserving.
Preservation or restoration from loss, damage, or neglect: manuscripts saved from deterioration under the program of library conservation.
The protection, preservation, management, or restoration of wildlife and of natural resources such as forests, soil, and water.
The maintenance of a physical quantity, such as energy or mass, during a physical or chemical change.

v. pre·served, pre·serv·ing, pre·serves
v. tr.
To maintain in safety from injury, peril, or harm; protect.
To keep in perfect or unaltered condition; maintain unchanged.
To keep or maintain intact: tried to preserve family harmony. See Synonyms at defend.
To prepare (food) for future use, as by canning or salting.
To prevent (organic bodies) from decaying or spoiling.
To keep or protect (game or fish) for one's private hunting or fishing.

I see no reason why what we are doing does not meet both. I honestly don't see a huge difference between the two.

So, while we are not yet ready to go public with the business plan and mission statement, most parties involved know what our intentions are, and I feel, that all have access to the information.

Honestly, I don't care about the name. The name is nothing but a few letters jumbled together to make a word. What I care about are the goals. Our goal is to save a dying and disapearing breed of plant. You guys can pick the name that you like the best, but at the end of the day we are still striving for the same thing.

Paul

I'm sorry that I haven't been around during the biggest event for conservation we ever had on the forums. I haven't read much of the posts or ideas that's been on here, sometimes life gets in the way, and more important things come up. My wife has been in the hospital, and she's been recovering, and I haven't had much time or energy to do some things that I needed to do.
I saw the first few post on this subject, and then it exploded with replies. I kept saying to myself that I was going to read them but the more there were the bigger the task seemed and the longer I put it off. Please don't take my silence to mean that I don't care about this issue, I do.
With reading very little about this I do have some big ideas. First I need to know if this project will be a non-profit organization.
I'll finalize my idea soon and post it on here to get some feedback, but meanwhile I'm going to try and take some time and read some of the posts about this.

Now that the name has been decided, is it possible to rename this forum?  If Nep g could fix my mistaken thread title (thank you, very much) Someone must be able to change this title, eh?  
rock.gif

Back