What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC:  Who is willing to help work this project

i also can keep plants in my room and well my house. my stepdad is a gardener and he would love to build a greenhouse with me.

Big space in time since someone has added to this thread, but here you go.

My name is Jason Hupp, and I am a trained botanist/ecologist working on a graduate degree in plant eco-physiology. I have experince working as a field botanist with SREL and in herbarium maintance. I also have a background in geograpphic information systems, particularly landscape ecology (ie predicting the location of plant comunities based on various spatial datasets). If you think I can help let me known.

My name is Jonathan Treffkorn, I live in California, right by the ocean, so the location is great for growing CPs.  I'm a Junior in highschool (well, in a few week's time), working on entering the field of biology, particularly, botany.  I am a hard and dedicated worker, I love CPs (but I suppose thats obvious for everyone who posts here), and besides the rest of the obvious stuff, I'm willing to put in the time to work (which will be much more pleantiful after this year) and I've been growing CP's since third grade.  That's all that I can think of right now, and I suppose that I can't do much at the current moment, but right now I can do things in California that need doing, and as I am the CP community in my area, I have been introducing people the people of my community to the CP world.  I'm nothing special right now, but I'm an extra pair of hands, craving no be more active in the CP community, I love to learn, and I'm willing to dedicate my time to boot!

i read the statement and would love to help out. tell me what i can do, suzanne! i have plenty of growspace and i've had experiance in bog raids to rescue cp's from development. i'm experianced at growing cp's and i have the time to do whatever i can to help out. i live in GA which is the pefect climate to grow sarracenia and i can give away tons of seed next year.

Yay...more recruits into the army.
biggrin.gif
Thanks you guys.

I am willing to help but unsure of what is out there for me to do? I do live in Michigan and my house is bone dry. So I do not have any grow space but I do know where Sarrs are in Michigan. I believe it is the Purple sarr or something like that.

well, if you need anyone in Canada, im here. i live in Markham, Ontario, Canada. i am in gr 9 (or going to be) and i work as a newspaper boy.

i have a lot of time and space. i can provide a lot of growspace in my backyard. i can also do websites useing html and i can do research along with writeing stuff. Zongyi

I don't know for sure if this has been taken, I know scotty said he would keep track of who has what plants and where they are. I could( I think I can, if not I can always get help) keep track of the mailing list(e-mail)/members of the NSCA. People who want to join and such would contact me via e-mail and eventually through the website. I could also keep track of when current members lose their status of member and thus delete them off the mailing list.

~Wes~

Wes, I currently have a list going.  People who want to be kept up to date need to email me, but we will try to get a basic structure before emailing everyone.

Pak,  is someone doing the site.  I have the room and know who if not.

Rose

I just made a post about that. We need a server for it and then it will be a go.
smile.gif

Names Danny Beane, age 19, been a while since I have been into this part of the forum. However I currently work at the Ohio State Ornamental Plant Germplasm center where I have developed the following skills
Pollination
Seed Collection
Propigation
Seed Cleaning
by the end of this year I might have tissue culture experience. Anyways I currently won't be able to help much until summer when I get back home where I have open space. I am currently planning on building several propigation shelves to see how quickly and effectively Sarracenia leaf cuttings/pullings are at rapidly producing plants. I won't be able to work at optimum efficiency until next fall though when I moveout of my dorm and into my house and am ableto turn my basement into a propigation/storage room plus live close to work. Currently I am only useful for moral support til next year. I have also been pestering the people at where I work that there is just as great of a needtoprotect Sars as there is to protect pelargoniums tagetes rudbeckia etc...

I offered awhile back to take charge of compiling the "NASC list of plants in collections"..
but im not sure if that is still needed or not, because that would fall under the webpage construction I would think..
If someone is still needed to put that list together I will do it!
then I guess it could be simply added to the NASC webpage when that is up and running.

im thinking we need a list of every plant that fits the criteria, in people's collections.
Persons name, location, plant name and location plant was collected from.
We only care about plants that have REAL CONFIRMED locations!
We cant do anything with Judith Hindle from Home depot! ;)
(not that its not a great plant! ;)
But we need real, confirmed "in the wild" locations that these plants are from to make this meaningfull..

and please be VERY HONEST about the plant's location data!
just guessing would be very very bad..would mess up everything. if you arent 101% certain that your plant is absolutely from the stated location, dont include it..

Which means that currently NO plants in my collection will be included in the NASC database!
smile_l_32.gif

(well..I do have some seeds from ICPS that have sprouted..those would work because the locations the seeds were collected from are indicated by ICPS..)

as for YOUR personal location, I dont think we would want everyone's real name and city listed..So we could be vague.
"Scot Lawrence, Western NY" or something like that..
do what you feel comfortable with to keep your collection location hidden enough..if people want to trade with you can make the judgement call then..
or..maybe we dont need to indicate OUR location at all??
just a name alone is probably fine.
Maybe an officer of the NASC can keep a master list of people's real names and contact information, but that info wont need to be public..

ok, so is this list still something the society needs done?
Or is someone else already compiling that list?
Scot

Hi Scot,

This list will be a very important part of what we are doing.

As to who is currently working on that, I'm not exactly sure.

biggrin.gif
Okay, so that wasn't a lot of helpful information. I'll keep quite and let someone who knows more info post.

-noah

Better late than never I suppose.

Not in the U.S. anymore, and I couldn't offer offer much grow space anyway but I think I can still help.

One former freelance writer and soon to be DMA graduate at your service. Trained/ing in everything from print design to corporate image management with mutimedia developement thrown in too. I am by no means a "front-end" PR person but I make sure all the tools (Printed Material, CD-ROM/DVD Presentations and Interactives, Informational Graphics, and all things related to Branding and Public Recognition) that back up the PR face are functional, acturate, message oriented, and just plain look good. Oh, and I can write too!

If you ever have need of my services don't hesitate to ask.

Kirk Simpson, I have plenty of grow room for any plants, not to mention I grow them all in gallon pots so they have room to grow, also not to mention I love to grow sarracenia, im sure I could fins a place in my greenhouse for some NASCers! I live in Colorado Springs, CO

Kirk, if you grow for the NASC, their ARE rules pertaining to growers age, and growing experience. If you meet the criteria, welcome aboard! If not, stick around. You're enthusiasm is infectious. We will use your talents later, if we have to.

cool what are the requirements? I'm thirteen and I've been growing since 11, got my first sarra at 8 though (died)

The advent of the new auction has made me (and i'm sure others) wonder what has been done with the proceeds from last year.  I imagine some accounting of that would probably help encourage bidding this year, and just generally be good form.

I've not played any role in this project yet, and don't have a lot of time to do so, but the NECPS has a similar mission statement and i already maintain the webpage for it, so if you want a webmaster, i will help.  I'm not sure if you already have a webpage or not- browsing the few threads that seemed relevant didn't turn up an answer.  Adding a NASC-relevant extension to the present NECPS webpage would be easy.  As is obvious, i don't really have any design skills, but i am very computer savvy and good at English composition.

The hosting we have is donated by a member, so i'd have to get permission to add NASC to the hosted site, but the design work i can offer with no strings.

For the NECPS site (and the CP world in general) i am working on an overhaul to the unfinished trade feature that will be based on what i envision as the be-all, end-all CP species collective database/growlist/tradelist manager.  Once that is finished, it would be relatively easy to add all the (unconfidential) data for the locales and varieties of Sarracenia to the public database, and that way it would help bring coherence to the state of Sarr collections. (And no one would have to turn into Darth Vader in the process)

Hi All,

I live in MI and I am interested in helping however I can.

Skills: For what its worth I have a technical background and have been involved with engineering, project management and sales most of my carreer so the usual skills that go with that type of work is what I can bring to the table. If anyone wants greater detail, PM me.

Thanks
Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 06 2005,5:26)]..., if you grow for the NASC, their ARE rules pertaining to growers age, and growing experience. If you meet the criteria, welcome aboard!
Well, I was going to add my name to this list and volunteer. I have about 50 years experience growing CPs, but I am probably too old to meet the age criteria.

Back