What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you are currently working on a project

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello Folks
smile.gif

Working with so many people spread out over the US and other countries presents certain logistical problems such communication. We can't all meet in a local board room to hash this stuff out. So its a little difficult to know what everyone is doing.

A lot of people think "nothing is going on" but I know that several people ARE working on various projects.

If you have been assigned a task of any sort related to this project or are working on some aspect of this organization, please post here what your project is and what has been or will be done for it. If you need any help or have hit a snag, let us know.

This can be updated as needed. But we'd like to know who is doing what since in this computer venue, its hard to know what is going on "behind the scenes."
----

I am in charge of the auction. I am waiting now to hear about some auction software our Esteemed Bossman Phil has and whether we will using that or using the forums for the auction listings. I will update you all as I get all the details in. Still be thinking of items to date as it will be coming!
-----------

Anybody else?
smile.gif

PAK

I guess I'm still working on a coding system. Once we have a total species/variety list, I can complete that.

SF
smile.gif

Thank you Snowy...good job BTW.
smile.gif

Everyone must remember this is an intricate and *long-term project* and we must ALL have patience! Its crawl, baby steps, walking THEN running!
smile.gif
This will not be completed in a few months or even a few years. Its only been a month or so and there is much to be done to get going.

I'm working on the rate of habitat attrition, not much in the way of good info though. I'm also spreadin' the word in my own personal PR undertakings.
wow.gif

Gaining support,and awareness of the conservancy

My project update:

Our esteemed Bossman Phil Crane has been working on some auction software. Our resident Troublemaker and Computer Brain Patrick (Trashcan) is helping Phil with this. Phil is upgrading the server to accommodate this software and a few other things. If all goes well, the auction software may be in place and ready for action by Friday. I have to see how the software is going to work, then we will get advertisements out. Using the software, anyone can list or bid thus opening the auction to non-forum members (such as Gardenweb members, Listserv, etc.).

So...the auction is coming, so be looking for things you'd like to list.
smile.gif

Hello everyone! I have posted this before, but here I go again. The dust hadn't even settled before Andy Lanier of south Florida, who has been into CP longer than I have been alive, has asked us to please map the Pensacola, Florida bogs, and see as to their health and standing. I.E., threatened, not threatened, due for plant rescue, etc. We will also attempt to map the overall size of the bog too. Second, A gentleman in Texas, in charge of the pitcher plant preserves there, has asked if we were ready for seeds and/or plants to get this show on the road. See? We have work already!! Also, I heard from Carl Mazur this morning, and he has the template up for viewing our website to be, and it looks nice!! Good job Carl! Well done! You can view the template at http://www.vaxxine.com/ccphome/home.htm Everyone take a look. It looks good to me, and I hope the rest of you like it. Things are happening, so be prepared for anything.

Hey all, I have my most current sar list here:
sar sheet

This only includes recognized species/varients that I could find. I didn't go into the detail of clones.... If anyone sees duplicate names, or mistakes, or something left out....please let me know.

Sorry it's been a while since I posted....I was out last week (from work, where this file is stored....yes, I work hard, lol).

I have an idea. This came to me after I read this from Bugweeds post.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] has asked us to please map the Pensacola, Florida bogs, and see as to their health and standing. I.E., threatened, not threatened, due for plant rescue, etc.
I think we should try to get at least one person from each state that has Sarrs. and let that person be incharge of mapping every site and keep a record of changes to the sites.

Also this info should be kept top secret. I also suggest that only one person be appointed to monitor the reports.

That's a real nice looking heading for that website, Bug.  Nice photo.  It's exciting to see the name up there.  
smile.gif

Ozzy, does every state that has Sarrs have someone who knows about this project, though?  What states have them?

Sarrs grow almost every state from Texas along the gulf coast all the way up the east coast, around the great lakes into Canada.
I don't think we have somebody that lives in every state. But I hope that as this grows so will it members.

So far Ozzy and Lavender Dawn, Sarracenia obsessed is doing Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. And by himself!! He could definitely use some help in this project, and Casper will probably step up to the plate and help out. Where in Mississippi is wolfpackgurl? If she's old enough, she could help. In fact, anyone who wishes to help, step up and announce your want, and we can talk about it. All sites will be GPS'ed, and measurements taken and updated as it starts rolling. One step at a time!

Lavenderdawn, if you check out my sar sheet, you can see which sars are in which states (that I know of).
smile.gif

Question: If these locations are such top-secret info, how are we to find it out? Obviously a quick websearch would probably not yield fruit. I would volunteer to map out the S. purpurea population in NY, but I only know of two possible locations (well, one I'm sure of), and beyond that I wouldn't know where to start.

If we are to get a true count of the sites and plants left, then we have to keep the info secret. Some sites are known only to a few people and they need to stay that way. These few people that know about the sites would never let the info be published, myself included.
The way that we find out is we don't. We select one or two people native from an area that knows the sites. Have them to record the info and report how many sites, conditions of the sites, and the names of plants and how many of each species is there. We select one person (that can be trusted) to keep the records.
The people selected to keep track of the sites in an area should be or become trusted by the locals that know and protect the sites. Their job is to find as many sites as possible, keep track of the plants and in general do what ever is necessary to protect the site. That should include researching and finding out who the owner of the land is. Getting the land owners trust. Keep track of development in the area.
By doing this we can be the first to know if a site is going to be up for sell. If possible, we can purchase the land. Since we'll have the land owners trust, we should have no problem saving the plants if the site is planned for development.
These are just some of my ideas. I welcome any criticism, so that we can decide on the best plan to put in place when the time comes.

OK, I am contacting Sarracenia retailers worlwide to let them know what we are doing (copy and paste mission statement). I have also asked them to be apart of this and I will follow-up shortly on what exactly they can do. So far I have sent info to:

1) Botanique
2) Bug Biting Plants
3) California Carnivores
4)Cooks Carnivorous Plants
5) Flora Labs
6) Meadowview BioReasearch
7) Mean Plants
8) My Carnrivore
9) Sarracenia Northwest
10) Triffid Nurseries
11) Triffid Park
12) Tristans Carnivorous Plants
13) BlackJungle
14) Hortus Botanicus
15) Plants Delight
16) Predator Plants
17) Venus-Fly-Traps
18) My-Venus-Fly-Traps
19) The-Venus-Flytrap
20) CarnivorousPlantstore
21) Stokes Tropicals
22) Lees Botanical Garden
23) Man eating Plants
24) CEG Nursery
25) The Fly Trap Farm
26) Berkshire Biological Research
27) Carnivorous Plants Plus

This is what I have sent:

Hi,
My name is Joe Hunt and I am contacting you on behalf of NASC (North American Sarracenia Conservancy)

MISSION STATEMENT
(As of May 2004)

The mission of the National Sarracenia Collection is to

serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological

and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes

of conservation and cultivation.

Primary goals:

1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living

collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.

2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible

future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such

reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved

by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State

Agencies, etc., as appropriate.

3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by

facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia

enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better

ensure variant survival.

4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered

varieties readily available.

5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to

meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the

maintenance of plant material.

Secondary goals:

6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to

understand the range of variability requiring conservation.
7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat

destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in

conservation of the genus and its habitats.

8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current

Sarracenia habitat conditions

9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.

Method:

1. The Collection will be comprised of recognized,

approved individual Sarracenia collections grown by

individuals or organizations throughout the world.

2. Member sites will serve as aggressive propagation

centers in order to supply specimen re-introduction into the

wild.

3. A database of existing collections will serve as a

decentralized "seed bank", with members actively offering

seed to other members as it is produced.

4. The database is to be overseen by a committee which

actively pursues variant survival in cultivation.

5. A committee will actively pursue variant acquisition from

existing collections in cultivation and from the wild when

necessary.

Currently we are compiling a database of Sarracenia retailers. We would appreciate your information including: Name of business, Name of ownership, Address, Contact information, as well as any other relevant info you wish to be included with your business. If you would like to be a part of this cause or have any questions please feel free to contact me at superimposedhope@aol.com

Thanks for your time
Respectively,
Joe Hunt

Feel free to critique this as well as any other ideas or suggestions.

P.S. If Nobody else goes after it I will then move on to BioResearch Stations, Conservation Stations, Universities, and Parks, etc............

Joe

Ok, I guess im going to make up the master list of what plants we have in collections?
I will start a prototype page this week and post it for discussion..

and as for sites, Tamlin & Lavendar, schloaty and I are in NY state, I believe Tamlin knows about a bog out in his area that im not aware of, and personally I know of 3 bogs in central NY that contain Sarracenia Purpurea and drosera, and one site that contains pings..
all are fortunately at zero risk of developement..
We have several New York Staters here...who wants to be "keeper of NY"?

SnowyFalcon, how is the coding system coming along?
I will need to use your coding for the list of plants in cultivation..
thanks,
Scot

Snowy has gotten out of CPs. I am not sure if he is still working on the project.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Aug. 22 2004,4:41)]Snowy has gotten out of CPs.  I am not sure if he is still working on the project.
uh-oh..
well was anyone else working on the coding system then?

Mijako 10 was. Haven't seen Mijako for a little while.

Why did my post get deleted?
confused.gif
There are plants in the U.K that are endangered, Carnivorous plants.

What post was it?

Back