What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***MISSION STATEMENT***

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>MISSION STATEMENT</span>
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>(As of May 2004)</span></span>

The mission of the National Sarracenia Collection is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation.

<span style='color:blue'>Primary goals:</span>

1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.

2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State Agencies, etc., as appropriate.

3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better ensure variant survival.

4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered varieties readily available.

5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the maintenance of plant material.

<span style='color:blue'>Secondary goals:</span>

6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to understand the range of variability requiring conservation.
7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.

8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current Sarracenia habitat conditions

9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.

<span style='color:blue'>Method:</span>

1. The Collection will be comprised of recognized, approved individual Sarracenia collections grown by individuals or organizations throughout the world.

2. Member sites will serve as aggressive propagation centers in order to supply specimen re-introduction into the wild.

3. A database of existing collections will serve as a decentralized "seed bank", with members actively offering seed to other members as it is produced.

4. The database is to be overseen by a committee which actively pursues variant survival in cultivation.  

5. A committee will actively pursue variant acquisition from existing collections in cultivation and from the wild when necessary.

Very Appropriate! Good Job!

Right on!
smile.gif

That's fantastic! Nice work.

I have a suggestion for what is perhaps an ambitious secondary goal. It is more of a long-term goal. Perhaps the organization should aspire to acquire Sarracienia-containing land that becomes commercially available to prevent sites from being developed. We could also research and make other environmental preservation groups aware of the availablility of land. Finally, at very least our group could make public to members and the general public the commercial availability of land with Sarracenia and other CPs. This way perhaps some of this land can fall into the hands of people who will protect it.

Capslock

Hi Capslock,

This posting has existed since May... I'm glad to see that some of you have finally found it!
smile.gif

As to aquireing CP land, while this is a worthy goal, it is far outside the reach of NASC, at least at this point. The funding needed for ventures like this (remember, not only the actual bog but the land which drains to the bog need to be protected) is enormous, and outright land aquisition/conservation is not what the NASC is being established to do. However, the ICPS does have a conservation program, and Meadowview also has a fund that is attempting to buy land that would protect sarras. Individuals interested in this are strongly encouraged to help fund these worthy programs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Finally, at very least our group could make public to members and the general public the commercial availability of land with Sarracenia and other CPs. This way perhaps some of this land can fall into the hands of people who will protect it.

This is a great idea! I don't know how much research etc. this would involve, but I think such information flow could be very beneficial if even one stand can be saved. I don't know if this needs to be NASC sponsored or not, though of course NASC research is likely to turn up several such properties.

Hehehe, somehow I missed this post when it came out! I figured this was the latest draft or something, and didn't check the date.

Anyway, you never know when one of us is going to hit the lottery, so it would be great to know when such land is available, just in case.
smile_m_32.gif

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, you never know when one of us is going to hit the lottery, so it would be great to know when such land is available, just in case.
smile_m_32.gif

Absolutely!
smile.gif

Just to clarify...I didn't write the mission statement. I wish I could claim credit for it but...alas, I can't.
smile.gif
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this came from either Barry or Carl as a guideline for us to use. Therefore this mission statement is up for additions or revisions if anyone sees anything that could be added.

And Meadowview has just recently purchased the Joseph Pines Preserve land. So at least that land will be preserved and restored.

I think I need to go get some lottery tickets.
biggrin.gif

Actually, this Mission Statement was drafted by yours truly, with input and assistance from several other individuals, including those you mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And Meadowview has just recently purchased the Joseph Pines Preserve land. So at least that land will be preserved and restored.

Really? I must have missed that! Good news!
smile.gif
How did they pay for it? I thought they only had 1/4 of the cost covered? You just made my day!

Back