(As of May 2004)
The mission of the National Sarracenia Collection is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation.
1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.
2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State Agencies, etc., as appropriate.
3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better ensure variant survival.
4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered varieties readily available.
5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the maintenance of plant material.
6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to understand the range of variability requiring conservation.
7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.
8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current Sarracenia habitat conditions
9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.
1. The Collection will be comprised of recognized, approved individual Sarracenia collections grown by individuals or organizations throughout the world.
2. Member sites will serve as aggressive propagation centers in order to supply specimen re-introduction into the wild.
3. A database of existing collections will serve as a decentralized "seed bank", with members actively offering seed to other members as it is produced.
4. The database is to be overseen by a committee which actively pursues variant survival in cultivation. *
5. A committee will actively pursue variant acquisition from existing collections in cultivation and from the wild when necessary.