What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Contest entries

Ok folks, we actually have some money in the till, so in light of this I am going to take half of it and get a new TV. I have been diggin them RP digital W/S big screens.

Ok ok, just kidding. We really need a logo. So, all you photo/paint shop pro's can belly up and show off your stuff.

Up for grabs is a stunning S. Leuco with very specific collection data.

The logo will be used for website, t-shirts and a plethora of spam (ok, kidding again, its friday and my brain can finally roam passed the annoyance of work)

So have at it team.

Casper

Awww Geez! Where are my crayons..................no, it won't work! PAK will win for sure. She has more talent in her toenail than I do in all my 155 lbs of rippling muscle.

I pitcher a figger, I mean, I picture a figure (!) all dressed in green, like the pied piper of Tamlin, I mean, Hamlin...and he's pipeing at a basket full of snakey Sarracenia like they are all going to follow him home to his bog! Tastefully rendered in all the ink shades appropriate for Sarracenia.

Hmmmm, where's my pipe I might have to try that hypnosis tune. Belly dance music gets 'em every time.

neeee ne neee neee neee
neeee ne neee ne ne ne ne

Jay? Brooks? Bug? Dean? You listening here........?

I would think Darlingtonia would work better itf you're going to go with a snake charmer motif
smile_n_32.gif

Too bad I have no artistic talent. Oh well...

here's mine.

126-2616_IMG.JPG

(it's a bit blurry but i think you got the picture.)

Artistic talent isnt a requirement...you can make a rough sketch or describe an idea.

Please bear in mind that this logo could be used in many ways...and that full color reproduction is expensive (letterhead or business cards, etc.).  Its a totally different beast to create a logo for print purposes than to created something to pop up on the internet where color is free.  It also depend on method of reproduction (offset printing, color copier, laser printer, etc.) This won't be about just a pretty color T-shirt.  This is for business purposes first and foremost.  Two-color images are cheaper to reproduce than full color.

Also the logo needs to look as good in black and white as it does in color.  So it must work both ways.  Color will not always be affordable or practical.

When will the contest end?

I will like to submit a logo myself but I don't want to be too late ;)

Heres my entry
biggrin.gif
. I may do another one if I have the time. We'll see... (btw, can I enter more than one design?)

Logo Link

Sorry I couldn't post it in here, but the picture would be too big and it would annoy people hehe.

Hi Divaskid

The logo is nice but bear in mind the name of the organization is North American Sarracenia Conservancy.
smile.gif

Aha! That name makes so much more sense now. Thanks for the correction ;) Its fixed now

William,

You can use a 'Huntsman Horn' to play your tune on.

Here is the one I posted in the "cooking up some ideas" thread a month ago..
If its too complex for reproduction, I could simplify it up a bit..
actually, I think I will modify it..the pitcher picture needs to be made more like a graphic, and less like a photo..
(can we enter more than one?
laugh.gif
 )

edit..
after reading
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] "This won't be about just a pretty color T-shirt.  This is for business purposes first and foremost.  Two-color images are cheaper to reproduce than full color.

Also the logo needs to look as good in black and white as it does in color.  So it must work both ways.  Color will not always be affordable or practical. "

I will definately change my logo..its too complex as-is..
ok, this will NOT be my entry!
confused.gif

smile_l_32.gif

NASC-logo-smaller.jpg

I will talk to Casper about submission period. I think it should be a while. Not like you can whip up a good logo in 10 minutes. We need time for people to think, doodle and create.

And I'd say fine to more than 1. The more selection we have to choose from the better.

smile.gif

I agree with PAK, you can submit as many as you want. I really don't want to put a time frame on it, because people need time to make a good logo. I say we leave it running indefinatly. If we see something we like, we can call a winner, and if something else comes along that is better, then we will just have 2 winners.

PAK have you done this logo thing before? your outline of what is required is darn near word for word what i hear about redoing newspaper mastheads and logos: if its in color it must also look good in B/W ect ect. you nailed it. also being a pressman myself let me put in my 2 cents. overly complex is always what you want. if done in a letterhead it can be distracting from the letter. also if your going to be using lots of copies of the letterhead(over 250) or envelopes(you wouldnt believe how many personalized envelopes go through the shop here) going to a printer rather than using a computer printer or a copier. the end result is much cheaper and better looking. i can do stuff on a 30 year old press that our up-to-date computers and decent printers at the newspaper cant even touch. Kinkos can even do a decent job.

Rattler

lol Rattler...I grew up around the drone of presses.  
biggrin.gif
  I have ink in my blood.  My father was a printer with his own printing company.  He ran Davidsons, Hamadas and an ancient Heidelberg that ran beautifully.  I spent my childhood playing there and later working there.  I've set type from foundry to hot metal to photo to laser to digital.  I am a graphic artist now so I work with printers all the time.

Designing a logo is more than making a pretty picture.  There is much to take into account.  Reproduction method, color (spot vs. full color), useage, size, etc.  Nothing tooo complex.

Good to meet a fellow print person.  
biggrin.gif

*bows down to the master* lol you sound like my "superviser" hes been at this for most of his 73 years, linotypes, kluges, ect ect ect. ancient hiedelberg?
confused.gif
i still use one of those!!! 54 years old and going strong. i prefer it to the "newer" presses. when it isnt working its your fault. the newer ones wont work if you look at them wrong
smile_n_32.gif
ive only been at this for a lil over 2 years, they hired me after hearing that i was sick of working for the local furniture store, i kinda just fell into it. glad a person in charge understands the processes rather than going at it blind. to bad im not terribly artistic or i would throw my hat in the ring.

Rattler

What is the internet adress for the NASC?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 12 2004,8:15)]I pitcher a figger, I mean, I picture a figure (!) all dressed in green, like the pied piper of Tamlin, I mean, Hamlin...and he's pipeing at a basket full of snakey Sarracenia like they are all going to follow him home to his bog! Tastefully rendered in all the ink shades appropriate for Sarracenia.
Can't stop laughing.

So just a concept drawing is acceptible? That's good. I haven't drawn something to my liking yet but I'll try my best to get something up here.

But, who would polish up a concept drawing. Surely they would get a prize, too. Assuming a concept drawing wins. o_O

I could prolly do a pretty good "Sar collection" drawing. Not ot sure if you guys would like me to try though!

Back