What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working on a brochure

Deadend day job?  Hmmmm.  That "deadend day job" pays for my house, my car, house insurance, health insurance, car insurance, utilities, food, gas, cable, phone, dog care, clothes, medical bills and Rxs, and a few luxuries like plants and lights, dinner out and a some fun purchases every now and then.  Not so bad for a single person.

It is very difficult to make a living freelancing.  You have to maintain high-end computer equipment with current software and hardware (scanner, laser printer, CD burner, camera, etc.).  You need regular, high-paying clients (which you have to find).  Lose a client or two, you may not be able to pay your bills until you can find replacements.  You have to pay for your own insurance which runs about $350 a month for an individual (how much do you pay for health insurance?).  Then there's handling all the business of tax withholdings and bookkeeping which, if you can't do it yourself, you have to pay someone to do that.  I know several people who worked freelance graphics at home and after a few years, they called it quits and got a job somewhere because it was too hard when the money flow turns to a trickle and rent is due...and you don't have it.

It is difficult to be self-employed.  It can mean working 24/7.  My father had his own business and all he did was work...all day at the print shop, all nite in the basement office doing camera work and paste-up, all weekend....all his life (printing, deliveries, consultation, sales, bookkeeping, payroll, stock).  He made a good living but he worked HARD for it.

I have a good job, work with great staff and appreciative agents.  Only the 2 moronic supervisors make it difficult.  It could be a lot worse.  So...I think I'll keep my "deadend day job" because, if nothing else, I know I'm getting a paycheck every 2 weeks I can count on.  Sure it would be a wonderful dream to work for myself and be free of supervisor morons.  But sometimes you just have to face it that life "ain't no dream" most of the time.  I have too much responsibility to take such a risk with my income.  Sometimes you have be realistic and compromise...give up a little freedom to gain a little security.  I have to take care of myself as best I can.  I can have my job AND do freelance for myself and have the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the compliments on the brochure.  It will be better when its finished.

Yeah I use to have two job just for extra money...then I said screw it - I would much rather have one job and enough to live on. Although I do have an anti-screw account for those just in case problems that arise. My father has his own business and works waaaaay toooo much.
confused.gif
O'well to each his/her own...As one of my friends said "Work smart, not hard".

Back