What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nominations

• Thread starter Copper
  • Start date
This is your last chance to nominate officers

Thus for nominated
President - (Pyro)
Vice Pres - (Copper)
Secretary- (Plantakiss)
Treasurer- (Schloaty)
Head Grower- (Bugweed)
Head Conservancy- (Ozzy)
Head of Research- (ZAK)
Head of PR - (Plantakiss can take her choice)

These are not final. If you wish to nominate any one for any of these positions please do so now. They will be voted on at the next meeting. If you wish to serve on any of the committees please let me know.

Thanks

I vote Spectabilis73 for research. He's really good at researching things, i chat with him a lot.

Sorry Captain, Spec dosen't meet the min. age requirement.

Minimum age is 18

We are forming a true organization with a true board. First there are legal considerations, second we need other organizations to look at us with all seriousness, third young people tend to go off to college and have extremely busy lives for awhile. There are other reasons as well. That does not mean that those under 18 can not serve in other ways. This is for the main board only. If you are interested in helping in other areas, ie - growers, please let me know.

Ummm....I don`t think I could help now....maybe later(If that was directed toward me)...When I get out through this I want to become a gastro enterolagist:)(I`d want to go through the air force where they pay for your college and you promise them 4 years of working at there hospitals) of course that can all change.

I hope that it works out for you.

Only thing (as I understand it) is, you can be a grower and not have to be 18. But I'm not sure even Spec can do that, let alone research.

Well, John is an officer of BACPS, and hes under 18, why the age requirement? Also, college rlly dun come into consideration, as there would be re-elections every year anywayz. Just becuz a minor or two are officers, dun mean other organizations will shun you... so yea... besides I think we all kno he aint really a bad person... sure he got banned, but it wasn't for something really bad, he wasn't really purposely trying to hurt anybody, or even have any bad intentions at that..

NepG, it seems like you are being a bit shallow. He wuldn't have any CP's if he couldnt grow. Not to mention, about 18 months ago he did a tissue culture project, and got a 50% success rate (50% of the cultures died in vitro, and about 10-20% of potted plants hardening off died... and that's pretty darn good if you ask me.). It also takes a lot of research to learn and suceed in tissue culture, you kno.
i bet he could easily lead the tissue culture projects in NASC as well. he's probably more capable then yu at that kinda thing no offense...cuz i kno youre like nep master..but this is the sarracenia thing not neps... yeah ok that's all for today kids. Thank you have a nice day full of friendly encounters and good luck.
Matt

Me 3. I think spec would do a great job. Even if he is under 18, he might be able to represent younger people's interests in this organization.

Thanks, Matt for your input. First, BACPS is local, not national, so there is a much larger thing going on here. ICPS is also national, and international, and no board head is under 18. Ever. Adults deal with adult issues, and we still will value the input of our younger members, that is for sure. But in charge? Not happening when you are national. Besides, Spec is where he should be. Being groomed for future dealings with larger issues. I am glad he is where he is at, because he will be a good grower, and leader in his own right, and in his own way. I still think he should be a grower too. I have confidence in his ability to grow a wide variety of CP. But a member is all he can be until he is eligible for election when he reaches 18. That is all that can be said for this. I know for his, and others positions, it sucks, but you will still have the chance to grow the plants, study them close up and first hand, have the species and locales you are looking for, and by the time you garner all the necessary growing skills, time to step up and be elected, and do your best to spread the plants and augment bogs, if called for.

You guys are going over your heads with this whole "age requierment" thing. I don't think age should have anything to do with it. It isn't anything but a number in every way possible and isn't a reflection of the person. Many organizations have minors that represent them. Big organizations, as a matter of fact, bigger than this. If the person is capable of doing their job, who cares what their age is?

i vote spect. bcuz he's a bright kid, and knows wat he's talking about, give him a chance to prove himself worthy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Dec. 02 2004,2:12)]i vote spect. bcuz he's a bright kid, and knows wat he's talking about, give him a chance to prove himself worthy.
Spec has had plenty of chances to prove himself. He's failed at it time after time. I agree with the age requirement but if it wasn't there I still wouldn't vote for Spec. Spec was banned for something serious. He broke the rules over and over. He harrassed other members. I personly tried to help Spec but he choose not to listen to me. If Spec can't follow the simple rules we have here I wouldn't think he could follow the guideline he would have to follow in something as serious as NASC.
This will not turn into a Spec topic, if it does the post will be deleted and the member that posted it will be warned.

Spec on the leader bord.... no comment, except he's great guy, but needs to be doing other things that aren't in a leadership postition on the NASC. As for the rest of the nominations. I like them. Also, where can I find the requirements to be an officer? I know I'm too young(15) but I just wanna see what they are. Thanks a bundle.

Later
~Wes~

Odd that the age requirements would be a problem. Also odd that all the protesters are under that age. If you do not want to be a member, then don't be one. Otherwise, Spec, like the rest of you, will have to follow the rules and wait until he is of age. I also have no doubt he is pushing you guys to pipe up for him. When he is old enough, let him run for a post. (A.E. Give me one name of an organization that is national and has board members under 18, and I will see if the age thing can be reconsidered.Otherwise, take care of your trade business, and quit complaining.)

There is no discussion on this matter.  The age requirement was voted on and passed, even with a vote of 'yes' from an under 18 individual.  This is ended.  We do wish everyones input, but if it makes for arguments that may end.  This organization is already begining to be a tremendous amount of work and it is going to get far more so.  We will have many legal requirements to fulfill.  We will have lawsuits to avoid.  We will have unbreakable policies.  We will have to in order to survive.  That is the facts.

On spec.  I like him and he knows that, but the age requirement will not change.  Also research is going to be one of the hardest working positions and the hardest to fill.  Let him have time to get through school and be with his friends (internet and otherwise).

To age.  Guys, stop the argument, you are only backing up our decision.  When a vote is taken there is no further argument.  That is the way it works.  Also only a few things (dealing with the NASC) will be opened to discussion on this forum.  Decisions will now be left up to the board, else we would never get anything done.  If you want to nominate someone, do so  quickly because the vote is tonight (edit - tomorrow, not tonight).  They need to be over 18.

This whole project is not about age or officers. It is about saving the plants. THAT is the focus here! The very fact that some of you have brought up age and used it as a divisive argument only reinforces the reasons why kids aren't officers on the board of national non-profit organizations.

How about making some constructive suggestions instead of trying to create a problem where there should be none?

Yep...its frustrating when you're young and people seem to put you down because your "a kid." But we've ALL been there. All adults have paid their dues and been just where you are now. So its not like we don't understand the frustration. Unfortunately, it won't be until you get to be an adult that you'll understand why its that way. You can't see it now. But I promise you you will.

If you can't do something positive for this organization, then don't be a part of it. This is a HUGE and very serious undertaking that will take years and years to grow. We will gain members, we will lose members. So there is ample opportunity for lots of people to take part in many different ways.

Show your maturity by 1) typing and communicating like an educated human being 2) taking a role appropriate for your age today and learning as much as you can to prepare for larger roles tomorrow

There are many of you here that know I advocate for the kids any time I can. Unlike SOME people in the CP community, I think our younger members have great value and a lot to offer. You are the future for CPs! BUT...there are some things that will be beyond your scope until you are a little older.

I would suggest if anyone wishes to intelligently debate an issue, that you learn to use proper spelling and English. That goes a long way in being taken seriously.

Oh yeah...the vote is TONITE? I thought the meeting was tomorrow nite.

Back