What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello members and non-members! This is the President of the Conservancy here. Well, Barry Rice informed me some time ago that ABG probably would not allow us to grow ESA listed plants for them. Their concern, as I understand it, is their concerns over "backyard growers". They seem to think we can't do what we do because we are independant, and not a Botanical Garden. I know this is rubbish, but the powers that be are overly cautious, and costing themselves a valuable resource-------US! So, since this appears to be the case for now, we will continue getting location species, and supplying any CP grower who wants a fantastic collection, their plants. No, we are not up and running yet, but Copper, is steadily plodding on, moving us in the directions we must go. She is a great Vice-President! We are lucky to have her, and PAK, and Laura Z5, for sure! We will not stop moving forward, and we will get out as many locale species we can. Whatever ESA plants are donated will be among them. Luckily, alabamensis is among us all, all three counties represented. For jonesii, 2 locations will be available. Etowah Bog (extinct) is in collections now, and will be available in typical and heterophylla, and another bog, which shall remain nameless, but from Henderson County, as are the Etowah bog plants. Oreo's will be represented at present by DeKalb County, Marshall County, and Cherokee County. Much to do, but you need to know the situation we are in as many of you are a part of us. Any of you who have location species plants, please do not hesitate to send the NASC seed and/or plant material. Get ahold of Copper to know where to send it. Dean Cook is one of our growers, and a Collection holder, so you can send material to him too. Please mark any donations on the packages to the NASC so Dean will know what it is for. So, you are now on the same page I am, and we move forward from here. Any comments? I wait to hear from you through this thread! Good Growing!!!

Yea, great job!
biggrin.gif
Glad to hear its finally gaining some momentum, and hopefully it keeps its inertia! (ok maybe not, hopefully it gains more momentum)

So are any other societies going to be involved with this? Have you spoken to the presidents of BACPS, NECPS, and LACPS (and the others) about this? If the ICPS won't help these others surely would?

Carl Mazur, ICPS President, backs us, and when his term as ICPS Headman is over, may take over the Canadian Branch of the NASC. As far as CP Societies joining in, I love the idea, but that is in their own hands. I hope they get ahold of us, and want to help out. To further our plants, and to try to conserve as much material as we can is one of our biggest goals. If the "Educators" wish to let us help them, we will. But if they continue to drag their feet, and lock up the plants we love so dearly, then we will share material between ourselves, and leave THEM out. This is not a game. Plants and animals are disappearing at an alarming rate, and IT IS up to us to pick up the ball and run with it where our CP are concerned. If the Botanical Gardens (ABG, or any other) want to drag their feet and lock the plants up, and not help out the CP community, then we, The NASC, will do it, and they can do whatever it is that they do. One thing for sure, you know they do not want to really help the CP community at all, as their plans are centered more around who gets credit for what, and whose name is on the paper! I don't care. We share the material, propagate the material, and give them to any and all who want them. The "Educators" can do whatever they want, and go for glory, when it is the plants that are important here. I have lots of material, but not enough! Any who can help, start letting us know what you have, and what you will donate to the NASC. Lets move! No more waiting for the powers that be to help anyone. They don't appear to want to.

I can donate seed of the following
S. Alabamensis AL001
S. Minor Wayne Co. GA
And Im sure I will have several more flowers, possibly s. lEUC n. wALTON cO. fl, or S. leuc Baldwin Co. AL

I think that there are enough of us that want to do what we can, without worrying about who gets credit for what. When we grow to a certain level those same people will be knocking on our door for our help. If you think this is going to be easy you're dead wrong. There will be alot of setbacks and battles that we lose. But we have to work for the few battles that we do win. That's why this kind of work is not for the weak. If you can't take all the heartbreak that we are going to have to endure then you may not be cut out for this.
We have info and locations to get started, so we need to put on our game faces and start the game.

Just remember one thing people, we can grow plants. We can GET plants from the good people here. We don't need a fancy name or a large backing, we can do it with dirty hands, sweaty faces and determination. I spent 7 hours in the greenhouse today repotting Sarracenia! If I can do that and I enjoy it, well hell I'm ready to give it all I've got to get the job done. Saving the plants is the top priority here, what goes on paper is second. At least in the end we will know who the true winners were or are.

lets rollay the troops!!! wohhooooo!!!! Im sure we have enough kind generous people here that we can definately grow to a large orginization, I have some tissue culture flasks jeremiah gave me, in them I am expecting to grow S, Jonesii, S. Oreophilla, and S. Alabamensis so if they sprout I will have tons of seedlings for free

Kirk, I am not sure about TC'ed jonesii or oreophila. Collected material only for us. TC is not what we do. That is why we are after locale specie collections for our donations. We will also get from them all the information we can on the plant.

Dave (schloaty) and I (if I recall correctly) will be working on a spreadsheet to track who is growing what.  Once we get that set up it is important to get your information into the system AND to keep it updated.

Tony

Steve,
sounds good!
smile.gif

good plan.
yes, there is no reason we cant just organise things ourselves, regardless of what botanical gardens or societies want or dont want to help out..
and, as we get this society rolling, im sure more groups (like the ABG for instance) will take notice and take us more seriously once they see there is *reason* to take us seriously!
I think we have to get this society rolling ourselves first, then the rest of the world will take notice once we are up and running..
Scot

I am just getting started with Sarracenia myself, I already have 1 well established location plant (S.flava from somehwere's but I can't recall where I put the specifics right now, it's gotta be almost 10 years old and should flower this season from what I understand)

I,too, will try my darndest to help spread the stuff I am currently working on, 3 specific location species and 1 more generalized one

I am onboard, for what it's worth

Thats sad that ABG and others will not help us.I have given away a lot of S.minor Long Co.Ga. and S.minor Wayne Co.Ga. divisions and I will continue to do so!

Jerry

I am glad that so many want to help, but even with help there must be rules. This is the main one - The information on the plants must be a sure thing. There must be collection data. Where is it from, what exact loction? What plant is it - for sure? There must be no question.

We will be glad to take the plants and seeds, but for now just let us know what you have and we will contact you. David and Tony are busy on the data base. Once that is going we can keep track of all the plants. Bugweed is right, it is up to us so we need to get moving. Information is a key ingredient to the success of this organization. Let's get it and get moving.

Right now we need to know who has what. Even if you do not plan on giving material to the NASC right now, at least let us know what is still out there and in existance. Please contact myself or PAK with the needed information. Some of you have some connections. Use them and find out what other growers have.

We still also need regulations of each state if you could please contact your state agencies. I have already tired to do this last year and most did not believe what I was telling them. You try. Tell them you live in the state and you are part of an organiztation that is trying to save endangered plant species. Tell them that we are legitimate and that we wish to do things right. To stay with in the law we must know the law.

Thanks. I will add tomorrow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 27 2005,5:02)]ABG probably would not allow us to grow ESA listed plants for them. Their concern, as I understand it, is their concerns over "backyard growers". They seem to think we can't do what we do because we are independant, and not a Botanical Garden.
So, the solution is clear:

Poach from the ABG!

(kidding...)

(disclaimer above added for the sake of impressionable children and stuffed shirts)

smile_n_32.gif

Stuffed shirts are a dime a dozen in this field these days. We need, as Copper said, hard info on these plants. Generalized plants are no good. We cannot use that kind on non-info.

if that last post was directed at my "general location" comment, I apologize, I was more admitting that I had at least one I wasn't sure about and would never think of representing it as otherwise.
I would like to help and to that end will wait to see if Carl Mazur indeed tries to head up a Canadian arm of this, he lives quite close to me and working with him would be fairly easy, plus I have a couple of "educational" contacts that may help spread the message locally at least

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 27 2005,5:02)]Hello members and non-members! This is the President of the Conservancy here. Well, Barry Rice informed me some time ago that ABG probably would not allow us to grow ESA listed plants for them. Their concern, as I understand it, is their concerns over "backyard growers". They seem to think we can't do what we do because we are independant, and not a Botanical Garden. I know this is rubbish, but the powers that be are overly cautious, and costing themselves a valuable resource-------US!
Hey Folks,

I'd like to add a clarification here on what Bugweed wrote on 27 Feb. Maybe this just seems like a couple of silly subtleties, but the details are important.

1)I certainly do not speak for ABG.

2)What I meant to convey to Steve (Bugweed) is that as the NASC pursues its mission, the most strategic route (I think) would be for it to focus on all the Sarracenia except for those three species that are on the Endangered Species Act (S. oreophila, S. jonesii, S. alabamensis). That way, the NASC would be able to work on getting the bugs out of its system. In terms of ex situ conservation, you've still got many, many species, subspecies, varieties, and forms with the non-ESA species.

Once you start dealing with the three ESA species, you are treading on ground in which you must carefully obey Federal laws, and because of so much mishandling in the past by hobbyists in this regard, various conservation organizations and Federal/State agencies will be much more likely to give you the hairy eye.

So...why throw obstacles in your own path? Work the easy route for a while until you get your system down and work the kinks out. Get some fame, glory, and experience before you have to work on the hard projects like including the ESA species.

That's what I mean to say. Now, the NASC can go in any direction it wants, and I say to it: "Good going, good growing, and good luck!" Follow your muse and inspiration. As the Director of Conservation for the ICPS, I encourage all CPers to have a conservation motive for their growing. It all helps.

Cheers

Barry

I appreciate the clarification, Barry. Thank you. And that was why I said probably. Sound thinking though Barry, and it makes sense. What do the rest of you think? I think we should follow the advice myself.

Well,
We do generally encourage people to first grow "easy" species before moving on to a challenge. Makes sense to do the same ourselves.
smile_m_32.gif
Ya know what I mean!

Back