What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we make a mistake with one of the listed plants before we really get started, we could be shut down and never get going again.
To put Barry's message in simple terms, we need to learn to walk before we run. Looking back the advice seems almost common sense. I agree with every thing he said.

I believe more of the common Sarracenia species are in more dire need than the ESA plants...I mean after all they are protected! I was once told by a fellow CPer that knows Sarracenia well, S. rubra alabamensis is doing well in the wild, poachers really don't know what to look for because of the unique habitat where the plants grow. Other plants that are in more accessable sites like S> flava most notably and S. leucophylla are very easy targets, for not only poachers but land development! I say help the common plants first. ESA can be left to the other folks.

I think that what's important is to have a large variety of locations for each species. If there were well-documented information for MANY clones of a species, representing as wide a span of its range as possible, that would be the most genetically valuable. Often, location-data-ed plants are interesting to someone and so the material is put in cultivation...we need good examples of the norm for many locations, not just a few exceptional individual plants.

Back