What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i dont know if this is one of those "hot" questions but edit it if it is, how much would one acre be in this area?

Leon Co. Land

Heres a link, I don't think 260,000 is much money for 150 acres.
Why would that be a hot question?

only 1,600 dollars for an acre! man I wish my mom would take me serious if I asked for an acre

Very nice pics Zak.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Though I live right down the road from the beach, it is the bog that is my my paradise. So keep you're red hammer, and I'll keep my red neck.

I know what you mean. I have lived most of my life within just a few miles of the ocean, but it's like the song by Garth Brooks that says, " And God ain't never made a place,I felt like I belong"
The first time I walked into the Green Swamp, I knew where I belonged.

great news, my mom said she might be able to help me, I can only probably get one acre and that wont be untill after summer probably

WHOAH, slow down. This site needs to be surveyed to see if any plants even exist on it. I'll have to contact the realty co. and see if I can look at the property. If there are any Sarracenia there it would only be a small bog. I will note that from location there is a good chance of finding S. alatas in the area.
But FINDING them is the hard part.

Hey ZAK, keep me posted as to the next trip! I would enjoy going with you.

Scott will do. I had only had phone conversations with Machael, so I felt it most appropriate to get introductions out of the way.

I think Michael has a good solution in purchasing land. It works for now, but will eventually grind to a halt. Extrapolate with me here, You own 15 acres of prime Sarracenia habitat, (I see yall drooling out there) Of course you refuse to sel this land. The land around you is purchased. You now have 20 mini marts surrounding you're property. You're eco system has changed dramaticly, where is youre' water source now? or are you more prone to flooding because everything around you is built on higher ground. What in the world is leaching into you're soil from surrounding neighbors. The problem is, it's easy to buy a bog. It's much harder to purchase an ecosystem. I've been told I'm wrong before, Just thinking out loud.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ April 26 2005,10:26)]Kirk,
If ever you're this way..... give me a shout.
I may be going that route this summer, I''ll have to check with my mom, so far the Sites I plan on seeing are: Blackwater State Forest, Apalachicola, Sandy Creek Road Milton, Pensacola Fields, Telogia, Cooks Bayou
Wewahitchka, Sumatra, Holley, Avalon Shores, Miramar Beach, Perdido, Citronelle, Deer Park, Weeks Bay Estuary & Native Pitcher Plant Bog
I just might see a texas bog as well

Kirk, You touch one plant without a permission slip, and your name is mud here. Without signed permission, you better not take one single plant. Only exception is one being dug up by bulldozers. Otherwise, no touch!!!!! Bigtime trouble for you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hopefully by then I will. It would not be that hard, as acreage in that area is relativly cheao. I think in most cases I could just buy the acres containing the bog and some from the road to the bog.

As you mentioned in a later post, this really doesn't work. Once landowners start splitting up land, they usually like the money they found and keep splitting it up. Even if you don't get minimarts, you may get homes that use herbicides on their lawns or have poor septic systems. We've really got to try and keep these ecosystems intact. Buying one acre only contributes to the problem...
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are two way to play this in most cases. Many ranchers would tell you that if they found out they had something federally protected on their land, they'd destroy it as soon as they found out.

There was an article a few years back (ICPS??) about some people who found a beautiful little bog filled w/ Sarracenia on a farm somewhere. They approached the owner about purchasing the bog, who acted very receptive, and told them to come back the next day so they could continue discussions. When they returned, the entire bog was under several inches of fertilizer. The owner said the last thing he wanted was some type of fancy plant on his land attracting conservation types and/or the government....

Sad but true...
smile_h_32.gif
Did you read Barry Rice's recent trip report to Mississippi & Louisiana? Barry's Trip and the part about the realtor lady? Lots of people really do not care at all about conservation
smile_h_32.gif
That's all the more reason why those of us who do need to act quickly!!

Back