What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at what i got

I went to an auction at my aunt's church this weekend and an orchid grower donated some of his plants to the auction.  It was a silent auction for the basket with the 2 Cattleya in it and on the botom of the sheet that you wrote your bid on it said that all of the centerpecies that were on the tables were included in the lot.  I don't think anyone else saw that so I won all of these for $40.  12 assorted orchids plus 2 huge Cattleya.  Jackpot!

Picture078.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Whoa! That's definitely a steal; congratz. What's that come out to anyways, like $5.20 per plant?
~Joe

There are 14 plants so its like 2.85 each.

14?! I only counted nine... I wish I could find those kinda deals... and here the best I do at auctions is like $80 for a S. x 'Leah Wilkerson.'
~Joe

Wow! But you need to learn how to tell a story. For instance, you could have said, "Here's some of what's in bloom now. Excuse their appearance because I've been neglecting them."

That was a deal.  Nice plants too.  Now go find your local OS and joint it too.  I get alot of nice lants fron the raffles.  Sometimes get lucky and they are already in flower.  2 bucks a ticket and a great way to enhance the collection.  I have a HUGE LC love fantisy that I picked up in flower with 9 flowers for a 2 buck ticket.  Also was lucky that I was the first ticket drawn.  LOL  Its in bloom now again for the 2nd time this year in fact.  Looks to have another sheath forming aswell.  Love the plant.  Anyways great haul those are some very nice orchids. Are they all named or are some NoID? The red small flowered one looks like Lava burst. Mine just went out of bloom LOL.

Whoah!! Fantastic! And at a church auction! If that ain't no reason to get religion again...

Wow...what a fantastic deal! They are absolutely gorgeous!

My best deal was a ton of orchids and other plants ($528 worth) at Lowes for $5. The manager said I could have all the clearance plants I wanted for $5. So I loaded everything I could find that was decent or salvageable in two carts. Now I have waaaaaaaaaaay too many orchids (too many dens and phals).

You definitely got a steal of a deal! Congratulations!

You done good! Best deal I have ever seen. I thought I knew people who had horse shoes up their rear ends but this takes the cake. Oh how I wish I had a Lowes around me every time I hear of somebody getting a deal like that. As far as that silent auction at that Church... I'd beeeeeelieve if I could get plants like that for $40. I see that green and white spider looking orchid blooming in that middle of that first photo.

Thanks for all the nice words. Yep they are tagged but the big white cattleya. I was a really lucky find and well worth the CP's I donated to the auction.
-Nick

if they are all labeled whats the yellow one second from the right in the front in the very first pic on the thread? i like that one

Well done - good deal. Just a word though.... they won't all happy growing together in the same conditions in that tank.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 04 2005,12:25)]if they are all labeled whats the yellow one second from the right in the front in the very first pic on the thread? i like that one
It is Bl. Yellow Bird, It smells so good!
-Nick

Bl.? any orchid nuts able to give me the name before i get home in a few hours to look it up in my books? it reminds me of Brassia but i suppose its sume hybrid.

I think it is a hybrid of Brassavola x Laelia
-Nick

thats what im thinking. if you ever have an extra division keep me in mind

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ Oct. 04 2005,8:52)]I think it is a hybrid of Brassavola x Laelia
-Nick
They are called Brassolaelia  
smile_m_32.gif

They are a man made genus, just like Ascocentra(Vanda x Ascocentrum) is

Back