What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Very nice, gents. Randall, in your last pic, what is the one on the stick that is cascading?
looks like a trichosalpinx sp. if i had to guess, chamelepanthes

looks like a trichosalpinx sp. if i had to guess, chamelepanthes

Good guess, its the yellow flower version.

Very nice Pleurothallis sp. Whimgrinder, if you ever end up with enough to trade let me know. Or if you figure out the rest of its identity.

Good guess, its the yellow flower version.

Very nice Pleurothallis sp. Whimgrinder, if you ever end up with enough to trade let me know. Or if you figure out the rest of its identity.

I'm sure I could get a division off the plant without too much trouble. Its in full tilt bloom right now, so I would wait a couple of weeks to take a piece off it. It has about 20 spikes, with approx 15 blooms on each! As to its identity, I quit researching it a couple of years ago, when nobody could suggest an ID. Many said "It looks a lot like so-and-so, but it isn't" and that's as far as things went.

Iding an orchid is a nightmare when it comes to the smaller ones. I'd love to see a full plant shot, that many blooms must look really nice.

I have a few Trichosalpinx chamelephanthes types and if I was to only keep one it would be the one labeled as following. The leaves just look so much nicer on this one.

Trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes (pendant) Origin: Colombia

DSC_1074 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the one from the branch starting to open up, I believe it was mislabeled as its clearly not what its supposed to be.

DSC_1072 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_1072 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Iding an orchid is a nightmare when it comes to the smaller ones. I'd love to see a full plant shot, that many blooms must look really nice.

An unapologetically hasty iPhone snap, but you get the idear:
20140103-082447.jpg

The first bloom on my Dracula vampira is opening tonight!
20140113-211251.jpg

Super nice Paul. One of my all time favorite species.

Almost always in bloom, a nice "space saver" ... Psygmorchis pusilla

Another one for the space challenged (and fragrant to boot)

beautiful miniatures DragonsEye! what does the dendrobium smell like? i might have to get that one. ;)

Dracula vampira 'Night Shadow' AM/AOS
20140114-160820.jpg

simply beautiful, my vote now for PLANT of the YEAR

Awesome drac, Paul!

beautiful miniatures DragonsEye! what does the dendrobium smell like? i might have to get that one. ;)

Jon, I would have to say that to me, at least, the fragrance is reminiscent of clover honey. Definitely not cloyingly sweet or overpoweringly strong. Pretty much have to have my nose within a few inches of the flowers to catch their scent.

Few bloomers at the moment:

Do wish it wasn't so difficult to capture many of the reds and purples accurately with digital cameras. Never had that problem with film. Color should be much darker and richer -- none of the magenta garbage. (The font color I'm using is actually a bit closer.) If only you could see the actual color. *sigh*

This one starts off green then 'ripens' to yellow.

Lightly fragrant

I must admit I often forget about this mini. It's literally always in bloom (or darn close to it) so really have reached the point of rarely noticing. It has about filled up the 3inch pot its in -- and it has only taken around 5yrs or so to do it from the 0.5 inch plug I started with. :-D (For those of you who have yet to venture into the micro minis, this is why they cost at least as much if not more than that blooming sized catt or cym. ;) )

The flower is roughly 5-6mm long from front to back. Entire plant stands about 1.5 - 2 inches (4-5cm) high.

And a few more:

A member of one of my favorite genera:

Phragmipedium Devil Fire

20140425-IMG_4653.jpg

20140425-IMG_4651.jpg

Back