What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

ENVY ENVY ENVY!

great orchids... definitely beats my wilted hanging on by the last thread one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 12 2006,10:19)]Very nice. The white one (3 and 4) reminds me of the alien for independance day.
for me it's more tripods from War of the Worlds  
laugh.gif

Cool - I never saw an alba Enc. cochleata before.  They're known as Anacheilium cochleatum now, by the way.  The cockleshell Encyclias (Enc. radiata is another popular one) were reclassified in the last few years.  I guess someone couldn't get a plant taxonomy PhD without reclassifying something.

Thanks Bruce. Now I have to make a new label. Dang they love reclassifying things. Sheesh.

I had another plant that was suposed to be the standard form, but turned out to be a Laparis species instead. I was mad! I ended up with this guy in a grab bag from a guy off orchid source. I am happy. Just wish it would start a second growth point so it would get bigger. They normaly have more than 3 flowers. That is the second time it has only produced 3.

my local orchid shop has the Alba form of that. it has a slight fragrance to it too! i got the typical form though.
Alex

Here are a few of mine.

orchids.jpg

Is that last one a pansy orchid?

-Ben

OK; I set up a photobucket account and let's see what happens, with my Bulbo blumei as guinea pig:

Bulboblumei.jpg

congrats haha. what are the onion looking plants behing that?
Alex

Those are Platanthera ciliaris seedlings.  It's one of my favorite US native orchids:

Platciliaris4.jpg

Nice plants bruce! I like the blumii. The native orchid is nuce too! Can it take hot summers?
tounge.gif

That orchid's native range is from here down the coastal plain to Florida and across to Texas. So it can take a wide range of conditions. My plant is from Arkansas.

ooooohhhhh and you grow it as a terestrial outdoors? Could you be so kind as to let me know when you devide it?

Gotta love those Masdevallias!
dsc00110tz4.jpg
dsc00108zp0.jpg

Wups!
Here they are.
dsc00110cn9.jpg
dsc00108bc2.jpg

Nice. Do you know what species/hybrid they are? I love the whole Masdie clan, but can't grow them. It gets too hot in the summer and too dry in the winter and they end up hating me. I think it's the desert-like winter air that really does them in.

The single flower is M. Southern Sun. (M. veitchiana x M. hirtzii).
The other one is >. Copper Angel. (M. triangularis x M. veitchiana).
I have some others in bloom too, just need to take pictures.
Later

Back