What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Here are a couple pics of a Cattleya hybrid I made circa 1992, flasked myself and raised from protocorms! This is LC. Edmund Rothwell 'Kirsch' X C. Fascelis. (two different seedlings from the cross)

rothfasc2a-october-2015.jpg

rothfasc3-october-2015.jpg

Very nice, Paul! Whilst I prefer the form on the first one, I prefer the coloration on the second. Lovely things in any event.

284b5d70f426f7402788d22fbd342dcf.jpg

I just bought this Paph. Batik today... I really need to stop buying plants for a while hahaha

It's blooming now. I really love this plant, it's so generous. B. Elizabeth Ann Buckleberry,

(please excuse my ghetto tv :) )

bulbo_zps7spotgyy.jpg

It's blooming now. I really love this plant, it's so generous. B. Elizabeth Ann Buckleberry,

Thats a fantastic Bulbophyllum! Thank you for sharing it with us. I might have to find a plant of this for myself - what can you tell us about its cultivation needs?

Last edited:
Thats a fantastic Bulbophyllum! Thank you for sharing it with us. I might have to find a plant of this for myself - what can you tell us about its cultivation needs?

And of paramount importance, how does it smell?!

It doesn't smell at all. I used to grow many stapeliads so I'm fairly resilient but this one really has nothing.

Whimgrinder, this is such an undemanding plant that in your hands it'll probably turn into a mountain of flowers in no time. Just warm + humid + indirect bright light. It really likes moisture so I keep it in sphagnum + bark with a bit of perlite. It's very punctual about flowering, always october/november for me and it does bloom every year with a flower or two more than the year before.
All my plants are windowsill grown and tropical ones only really grow during spring/summer so this plant is so much less than what it could have been.
I'd say give it a go, would love to see it in your conditions.

Last edited:
Bulb. pecten veneris (sym tingabarinum)

No smell!

Ramon:D

Bulb. pecten veneries
22530505916_b0df21a4ca_c.jpg

Last edited:
Is that recollection " not at all" or "not bad"?

Compared to B. echinolabium?! :ohno:

Answering that Q can be a bit of a sticky wicket. I have noticed, as I'm sure many have, that fragrance evaluation can vary widely from person to person or even from plant to plant. (I, for one, am NOT a fan of the fragrance of Onc. Sharry Baby ... or as it is known in some circles "Stinky Baby" .... To many, it has the fragrance of chocolate or vanilla. To my sense of smell, it comes across as a very unpleasantly coying fake chocolate smell reminiscent of the old "scratch-n-sniff" stickers of yore.) I have found that some of the Bulbos can register as radically different fragrances from person to person. I had a Bulbo. ornatissima years ago. To me and my sis, the flowers smelled of melon. To one coworker it was the disagreeable scent of old fish. Yet another coworker said that while she did not find the fragrance the least bit unpleasant, she was unable to determine what it did smell like. ??? With that caveat, I would say that the E. Buckleberry I recall did not have a fragrance that was strong or offensive. (Btw, Whim, the other hybrid I alluded to earlier in chat would also fit that bill.)

Beautiful, Ramon!

Last edited:
Today's cluster of LC. Edmund Rothwell X C. Fascelis blooms (Hybrid I created in 1992)

roth-fasc4.jpg

A common one but definitely worth having, B. nodosa

d8e80a071a8dcdc25a69a9da3b4cfcf0.jpg

I received this plant from DragonsEye Paul last year, and this is its first flowering for me - Epidendrum (Nanodes) porpax:
porpax2.jpg

Potinara Mem. Harriet George 'Glendale Heights', from Hausermann's Orchids. Gorgeous thing.
(Potinara - for those who may not know - is a man made hybrid genus comprising four genera: Sophronitis, Laelia, Cattleya, and Brassavola. However, many species from these genera have been shuffled into other genera, so it's likely that this plant would no longer qualify for the quadrageneric classification)

23920786246_55bb56e75c7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Pleurothallis dilemma, a small species from Ecuador, found between 1800 and 2000 feet elevation, in shady, cool, moist forests. The plant rarely exceeds 6 inches in height. (The bloom you see here is about 3/8" tall) It is an epiphyte (growing on tree branches) and has the ability to flower over and over on each growth. Some of the older leaves have flowered at least twenty times! We sometimes refer to it as the "string beans with faces" orchid.
dilemma-dslr1.jpg

Last edited:
Epidendrum porpax, a better photo. Beautiful/odd little species from Colombia and Venezuela that grows epiphytically to form vast mats of wandering canes. I've seen specimens in cultivation that approach 2 X 3 feet, with many hundred blooms! This is from the Cattleya alliance, and is sometimes ascribed to the genus Mormodes, but I'm not sure if that assignment has been retired now or not. There is still some question whether or not there are two species being grown as E. porpax: the fragrant one being porpax, and the non-fragrant one being properly attributed to E. peperomia. My plant has no scent so perhaps I should be calling this E. peperomia.
By the way, this is a miniature species; the entire plant you see here is about 5 inches from top to bottom, and the blooms are barely 5/8" tall.
porpax-dslr1.jpg

Last edited:
Cymbidium goeringii 'Lian Ban' Not fully open yet, but since I can smell it, it counts! Nice citrusy scent, vaguely familiar:

Attachments

• IMG_20151228_073109.jpg
    IMG_20151228_073109.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 32
Fdk After Dark 'Black Pearl' FCC/AOS OMG:

Attachments

• IMG_20151230_072448.jpg
    IMG_20151230_072448.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 32
Back