What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Yeah, I need to know ALL about #3&4!

#3 is a Maxillaria. Looks like Maxillaria cucullata.

#4 is a Lepanthes. Most likely Lepanthes telipogoniflora.

Please identify the plants you display.

#3 is a Maxillaria. Looks like Maxillaria cucullata.

#4 is a Lepanthes. Most likely Lepanthes telipogoniflora.

If #3 is M. cucullata I owe you another big thanks Paul!

Those orchids were indeed gotta-haves.

From my previous posting:

1. Bulbo. woelfliae
2. Barkeria whartoniana
3. Maxillaria hematoglossa
4. Lepanthes telipogoniflora

Last edited:
A Pleurothallis species, was sold to me as "unidentified". It looks like several other Pleurothallis species, but not quite a match. Blooms are 1/2" tall each, and it flowers four times a year, or more.
240834809799_0ae8d37a10_b.jpg
24083481779_06971a8d63a_b.jpg

Last edited:
f2f6fee0eb4b35b951d634b5dbdcd881.jpg

Although it's not mine, I saw this little guy at home depot yesterday and I'm kicking myself for not having gotten it

f2f6fee0eb4b35b951d634b5dbdcd881.jpg

Although it's not mine, I saw this little guy at home depot yesterday and I'm kicking myself for not having gotten it

Wow, an Encyclia cordigera semi alba! Apparently someone at your HD knows how to take care of orchids. I bought a really rough but deeply discounted cordigera bag baby myself at a local Lowe's a few years back but haven't gotten it to bloom yet. Now I'm even more anxious to see what mine is! BTW did you catch a whiff?

Last edited:
Wow, an Encyclia cordigera semi alba! Apparently someone at your HD knows how to take care of orchids. I bought a really rough but deeply discounted cordigera bag baby myself at a local Lowe's a few years back but haven't gotten it to bloom yet. Now I'm even more anxious to see what mine is! BTW did you catch a whiff?

Also of note, it is a cordigera from Venezuela
I did smell it which is another major reason I'm kicking myself for not having gotten it!
The orchids there were great but they did NOT know how to care for them, paphs and phals were bone dry and catts were soaking wet sitting in puddles
They also had a couple bulldog paphs and a Rhynchostylis there. The Rhynchosylis was not IDed

Also of note, it is a cordigera from Venezuela
I did smell it which is another major reason I'm kicking myself for not having gotten it!
The orchids there were great but they did NOT know how to care for them, paphs and phals were bone dry and catts were soaking wet sitting in puddles
They also had a couple bulldog paphs and a Rhynchostylis there. The Rhynchosylis was not IDed

Were any of these the Better Gro orchids in a bag, or do they use a different supplier?

Update: someone who knows the Pleurothallis genus better than I do contacted me to offer an identification for the plant: Pleurothallis navicularis. Yay! Another growers photo of the species found on Flickr:

6349151698_46a91c2b1b_8z.jpg

Last edited:
Neat plant! Given the large number of unidentified plants in the genus you're lucky to be able to put a definite name on it.

Were any of these the Better Gro orchids in a bag, or do they use a different supplier?
Sorry for not seeing this sooner, I ended up getting a larger and healthier looking one at another location, this was a better gro orchid but not in a bag.
There were also bagged orchids but not in much better shape

A recent addition to the family - C. Nancy Off 'Linwood':
img_6718.jpeg

Isnt it on the dangerous side buying home depot orchids? :scratch:
Ive always been told to be extra careful around them because of the virus risk.

Isnt it on the dangerous side buying home depot orchids? :scratch:
Ive always been told to be extra careful around them because of the virus risk.
Hmm I haven't heard that before but I know a whole Facebook page whose members' whole collections are practically made up of home depot "bag babies"

Lepanthopsis astrophora, from Venezuela. These blooms are each about 1/4" tall.
24829291332_6f71f0474_c.jpg

24651823130_12a139ddf_b.jpg

Last edited:
7c5f1b71181c9ad7b43a1afc19455903.jpg

814f868dcc6abaf677ff659d0c4cabb9.jpg

Paphiopedilum callosum :)

Got this plant in May with a mealybug infestation from Popow at the Redland festival. It's my second Paph and my first reflowering of one (my first Paph is sending up a spike now)

P. callosum is a timeless beauty. Its no wonder it is a foundation species in the building of so many superb modern hybrids. A gorgeous thing!

Back