What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

P. beatricis definitely looks like a possibility as well, and honestly, I'm having trouble finding differences between vellota and beatricis. Is this one an import from Ecuador?
Wherever JL gets their orchids.

Wherever JL gets their orchids.

Have you contacted JL, they should be able to help ID it if they mislabeled it. They should know they are selling the wrong plant also, the difference in price between P. umbellate and P. vellota can be a lot.

Bulbophyllum tingabarinum

Leptotes bohnkiana

very nice Bonnie! i thought I had tingabarinum, but the flowers ended up being yellow instead of orange.

Love the tingabarinum!

Love that bulbo!

Ground orchid thinking about insurance purchase.

Sharry baby.

My first orchid, purchased today at Fall Garden Fair, Mercer Arboretum Botanicals- Paphiopedilum Stella Scope (Supersuk 'Greenery' x Double Deception 'Yellow Flares'.
IMAG0848_zps968f22ab.jpg

Looks like that Plant from Jumanji that shot the poison barbs.

Hi guys, my first orchid post :)
Dendrobium leonis, young plant about to flower for the first time. It's growing in 2" pot.
IMG_4630_zpsd520459b.jpg

Dracula chimaera
20130930-085151.jpg

Dracula vespertillio
20130930-085216.jpg

Love the foliage on that den, Hardy!

Sweet dracs, Paul. Massive flower on the chimera. Does chimera send its spikes straight down like most of the dracs do?

Love the foliage on that den, Hardy!

Sweet dracs, Paul. Massive flower on the chimera. Does chimera send its spikes straight down like most of the dracs do?

Yes, bloom spikes go straight down, but as they develop a flower, it curves more up and out, away from the plant. D. chimaera is my favorite of the buch so far, but I haven't bloomed the D. vampira yet, so...... ;-)

Yes, bloom spikes go straight down, but as they develop a flower, ......

One of the big disadvantages to dracs for those of use without a greenhouse.

On a different orchid note ... this was a bit of a pain to get a decent flower photo.

Flower is about 0.5cm across. *sigh* to have a macro lens ...... some day ... some day ...

Without a tripod and the ability to underexpose the photo that flower would be a real challenge.

Amazing flowers, Paul! I wish I'll have the means to grow cool-growing species some day...

DragonsEye, I love the foliage on that angraecum too!! Must try to find it some time. :)
It is interesting how distantly related orchids can have foliage so similar. There is another dendrobium species I grow that has similar foliage, Dendrobium prostratum. It is basically a miniature version of Dendrobium leonis, same habit, same foliage, same flowers and even the fragrance is similar too, only it is much reduced in size. Here are some photos (but these are old photos.... taken last year)
IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

I tried crossing the two species several times, but each attempt failed. I have checked that both species are self-fertile, maybe it is incompatible chromosome number or something.
IMG_2422.jpg

The Den. leonis flower has opened

IMG_4639_zps00836bf0.jpg

IMG_4650_zps18e20371.jpg

It has a delicious vanilla smell. Some orchids have vanilla scent (Onc. Sharry Baby, Onc. Twinkle, etc.) but the overall smell is floral.
The vanilla scent of Den. leonis is different. It's the culinary kind and the bloom smells absolutely edible, just like vanilla ice cream. :)

Back