What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Looking good Thez..Samera is violacea x bellina
Would you consider it a good hybrid for novices? I've had my try at Oncidiums and Paphs. and they seem to be doing fine. I'm really curious about phal species and primary hybrids

Looking good Thez..Samera is violacea x bellina

Would you consider it a good hybrid for novices? I've had my try at Oncidiums and Paphs. and they seem to be doing fine. I'm really curious about phal species and primary hybrids

Yeah, actually. I just killed 2 more orchids by doing.. I'm not sure what ??? but this one is robust, has more than like 2-3 leaves like most other orchids I've got, and regularly blooms once a year with multiple blooms where other flowers randomly drop all the buds but one for me. Oh, and it smells great!

Open today: Haraella retrocalla, a very tiny Taiwanese monopodial species. (that bloom is about 1/2" across) When fully open it has a wonderfully sweet fragrance.
retrocalla1-june-14.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic Paul. My retrocalla has a fragrance that to my nose is almost identical to citronella.

That Harella retrocalla is a real beauty, Paul! (Very nice image, as well...)

This Stanhopea nigroviolacea 'Predator' opened Monday --- probably gone by tomorrow:

2_zps6d3c22cf.jpg

1_zps47bc3890.jpg

Anyone grow hoyas? I love their little star-shaped flowers.

I have had off and on luck with them. My H. retusa flowered for me last year, and this year, seems to be doing well.
attachment.php

My H. curtisii surprised me one morning with flowers, too. Totally unexpected, as I pretty much neglect that guy.
attachment.php

I have a few other plants. My H. mathilde, pubicalyx, and onychoices x archboldiana seem to be doing well, but have not yet flowered for me.

My macgillivrayii 'pandanus creek' is not growing, but not drying. My naumannii seems to be struggling a bit, but isn't dead yet.

Last edited:
Nice Hoya! (Might be better to put them in the misc. plant section next time.) Hope the mac does well for you. I've always wanted to try that one though I know it can be a huge sucker, but the flowers are also quite big as I recall. I gave away a couple of my Hoya. Currently only have carnosa 'Krimson Queen', DS70, and mindorensis.

I don't have a pic, but I have a small cutting of an unusual Hoya, H. imbricata. It hasn't done much for me, but I'm moving it into a greenhouse this weekend, so hopefully the constant humidity will give it a kick in the pants.

I don't have a pic, but I have a small cutting of an unusual Hoya, H. imbricata.

Oooh, that is a neat one! From what I understand, it requires very high humidity to do well and likes very bright indirect lighting.

Dendrobium jenkinsii. It's a great spring bloomer and very easy to grow. The fragrance is nice too. Highly recommended!

edited-IMG_20141115_111055_zpsb3fdeb28.jpg

Lepanthes calodictyon. Love this one... always blooming.

Not a floriferous plant by any stretch, but does hold its color well compared to a lot of the yellows.

Flowers came out a lot darker this time around on this one. Temperature as well as light intensity tends to play tricks like that on many catts.

Flowers start off more chartreuse and yellow as they age.

One of my favorites and one of the few large (by my standards though still considered "compact"). Difficult to accurately capture the color with a digital. The areas overlaid by shadows are actually closer to the deep, dark red it actually is.

An unidentified Pleurothallis I picked up last weekend. The tag read "Pleurothallis. Orange flower." Any ideas?

Last edited:
Very nice. Looks like P.rubella.

Leptotes pohlitinocoi - I just could not get a photo that does the blue tint justice.

Leptotes pohlitinocoi by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Still working on digging up the ID on this little guy. Closest match of the tags for that tank is Dendrobium parvulum var. huliorum, but it just does not seem right. The flowers are just about 1/4" across.

DSC_0995 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back