What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid bog?

I have around ten orchids that need to be repotted in something bigger and I was thinking that it would be cool to just put all of them in a bog full of orchid mix. But I have never heard of anyone doing that so I wanted to know if this is a good idea or not. Thanks guys.

What kind of orchids? If they're bog orchids, it could be a great idea. But not if they're the more typical epiphytes. Orchids seem to do best in pots that look too small. So a large container might not be a good idea, even if it's full of orchid mix and not maintained as a bog.

It's all kinds of orchids. Just the common stuff you see in stores. I was planning to maintain it like a regular orchid pot but if they do better in small pots I'll just leave them where they are now.

A friend of mine has an orchid (cymbidium maybe) growing in the flower bed next to the front walk of his rented house here in southern CA. I don't know who would plant an orchid in the flower bed but its happily spreading amongst the agapanthus.

Peter

Cymbids can be grown in the ground in Cali and in Fla.

Copcar, I don't generaly go with the orchids to better in small pot idea. I have over potted many a orchids and they do fine, but I don't have the "experience" to say its conclusive. When you mount an orchids you give it all the room it needs and mounts do fine. So go figure. I don;t think your in an area where you can leave the orchids out all year, so a large planting would not be a good idea for that reason. You have to be able to move them in during the winter. Plus you say that those are the more common things from stores. Well, you really can't grow Phals next to a dendrobium. You will either cook the phal when giving enough light to the Den, or you will starve the den when you give it phal light. Plus if you have some oncids in the mix then they need high light too. So unless you have a place its going to sit forever then I don't recomend doing a group planting, unless its a mount and the same types of orchids. Also needs to be stationary. Many people have had success doing an orchid tree, or group mount with plants of similar light requirements. They look good, but they are also in green houses or can be moved when needed. Good luck

Back