What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masdevallia blooming

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
lost my tag, its a pure species though.........any clues which?
7d6ab196.jpg

Well if you know its a species then have a look at orchidspecies.com and click through the masdi's. I will look later if I have time. I wish I had a cool growing chamber for these beauties. I love them, but at the moment have to be very selective. Way to bloom. It look almost like my Masdi aquarious, but thats a hybred.

i think it was supposed to be floribunda but it doesnt quite match the one pic i have though its close. course the species thing is assuming the person i got it from was positive of its ID or that the peron he got it from was had it IDed right

im going to say its #3 the floribunda mine just has more yellow or the yellow is getting washed out a bit from the piics im seeing

BTW, did you have nothing better to do other than to go through several hundred photos to try and identify a plant that isnt even yours
smile_n_32.gif

I had time to kill while I was at work. Nothing was going on. Someone else wouldn't have if I didn't. It really didn't take to long once you start using the hot keys for going back and your on a T1 connection. It made short work of them pictures. Just needed a flash if there was no yellow I didn;t look long. I did see quite a few Masdies I would like to grow though.
smile.gif

looks like number 3 to me.

That species has a range of colors and color isn't a reliable way to identify orchids. If you got it from me, it should be a trustworthy ID. The floribunda I used to have came from a GW trader who has a big cool growing species collection. I know I sent my Masd. infracta (the only Masdie that ever bloomed for me) to someone else, but I don't remember what I did with the floribunda.

After posting my previous reply, I remembered you had been skeptical of the ID of the Bulbo odoratissimum I once sent you. What's weird is both came from the same person. I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation, but it makes me wonder.

nope this isnt one from you. got it in trade for CP's over on a dart frog board. im about 99.9% sure that it was sent to me as floribunda

Don't focus on color. I don't think they cover as much of the spectrum as Masd. infracta, which can even be blue, but a floribunda can be anywhere in the yellow-orange-red range.

blue? how bad would it hurt the pocket book for a blue Masd. infrata? how difficult to find?

hey Bruce since your interested in these guys, what temps are ideal for the cool growing ones? my basement is staying at about 75 under the lights during the day with a bit of a drop into the 60s at night while its 100+ outside. think i should be able to handle some of the cooler growing species?

I gave up on them, although I think the low indoor humidity of winter was a bigger problem than the warmth of summer. And mine would get into the 90s. But a week like we're having now, with muggy nights barely if at all below 80 can be deadly to cool and cold growing orchids. With the cooler temperatures you can provide in summer and maybe terrarium space in winter, you should be able to overcome the problems I had and even grow the cool and cold growing ones.

I don't know who sells a blue infracta. I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of a blue one, but the closest I came in a google image search just now was purple. Still a nice color. I think the person I sent mine to was collecting all the different colors. I can remember he taught botany or biology in Memphis, but can't remember his name.

Back