What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey

OK guys i need help, My moms been wanting a nice orchid, thats not a Phal but easy to care for. Any suggestions? An Orchid that likes conditions similar to a Phal would be ideal. And a source would be nice too! I will do some digging of my own as well!

Thanks! :-O

I have a Paphiopedilium that I'm quite fond of. I just leave it on a cool windowsill like a Phal and it does fine. Haven't found the trick to making it flower yet.
~Joe

I don;t have the nack for paphs or phrags yet myself either. I think I am giving them to much light so I am backing them off a little under my benches.

Odontoglossm wildcat would be a good one. It used to be called colminara so you might still find it listed as that. There are different cultivars of it. I have a few different ones. They are like Sherry baby easy to find. Oncid Sherry baby is another nice one and smells of chocolate. The colm, and oncid sherry baby will take a little more light than a phal though. Gongora's are nice too. Fairly easy to find. Lower to high light. I successfuly flowered one in a north facing window with the blinds closed most of the time. The only thing is the flowers are pendulous. You have to hang it so the flower spikes drap over the sides. My speciman plant routinely produces many spikes, and it is filling an 8 inch basket. Somepeople find the smell of a gongora unpleasent though. I personaly like the smell of my tricolor.

Ok this might help some, any that aren't more expensive than 50 bucks?

The only thing about getting orchids for less than 50 is that they are a few years from flowering. If you look at Carter and Holmes website you should be able to find some that are less than 50 bucks for blooming sized plants. Keep in mind though they do sell plants for 10 bucks each, but they are seedlings and 2 to 4 years from blooming most of the time. I have bought a first time blooming phal for 25 and my wildcat that was blooming for 25. The thing you want to do is stay away from the chain stores when buying orchids. You want to buy from an orchid nursery. Then you have to be selective too. Some places want to charge alot and then others not so much. Sugar baby is a weed and even thoguh I don't have one yet it seems to be pretty easy to get and IMO should not cost 50 bucks, but places sell them for that all the time.

I agree with JB_OrchidGuy about Odontoglossum wildcat, aka Colomnaria wildcat. There are a lot of wildcat varieties with a wide range of color combinations. There's a bunch of information for those who want to learn about orchids at http://orchidlady.com/.

Yes sir there are alot of cultivars. I think I have 3 different ones. LOL But only one is blooming. The others I got from my OS raffle and were in pretty bad shape. I dunno how many are living in the GH.

I also think Cattleyas can be easy, but they take a heck of alot more light than a phal does. Many dendrobiums bloom easy for me, but they also require more light.

uhhg to much work... lol ill keep my eye out for the ones you recomended, thanks

Well to each their own. Orchids are different, and I love them. You just have to learn what they need to take care of them, and because they grow so slow they are not cheap unless you buy them young then WAIT. LOL

It's a labor of love and eventually you'll just do things with them based on looks, feel and weight.

Umm.. Orchids that is. Not Women.

Sharry Baby is a nice one. How about a brassia? Wicked spidery flowers. :)

Brassia Hybrids are nice too. I have one in bloom right now, but they too take more light than a phal. I would say about as much as Sherry baby and any other in the Oncidium alliance.

Lowes had at one point a pretty lavender Brassia hybrid. I picked it up with no label so I cannot tell you waht to look for, but it is nice when it is in bloom.

I'd go with Onc. Twinkle. It's a miniature Oncidium that grow like a weed, and should flower reliably in many different conditions. And you can get a plant in flower for about 15 bucks. Plus, the flowers are fragrant, and come in white, red, yellow, and pink.

Onc. Sharry Baby would be a close number 2, for the same reasons, except it's not a miniature. Flowers will be different combinations of red, white, and yellow, depending on the clone.

Third choice would be about any Brassavola hybrid. They're all fairly reliable growers, but like to dry out a bit more between waterings. Mine hasn't stopped growing since it came to live with me at the beginning of the summer. It's got well-formed flowers, and is very fragrant at night. Flowers come in all colors, sizes, etc. depending on the hybrid.

All three types of plants should be cheap to buy at blooming size, from almost anywhere. Just look around a bit. Hope this helps...

Back