What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a few out in the Greenhouse

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
188892445O920297959.jpg

188892421O013773260.jpg

What's the second? My eyes are always drawn to the strangest orchids and that one definitely qualifies. Even if the camera angle helped boost the strangeness coefficient.

boost the strangeness coefficient.

lol. I think I read about that in the latest issue of Mathmatician's Weekly.

Those are a couple of great pictures. How many different kinds of orchids do you grow? Were you into CPs before orchids, or orchids before CPs? Or both at the same time?

xvart.

Bruce. It is labeled as Bulbo burfordiense grandiflorum, but I actualy think it is Hyalosema grandiflorum, syn is Bulbo burfordiense according to intenet species encyclopedia. Here are the links. Bulbo burfordiense is alot darker, but looks the same. See for yourself and tell me what you think.

Bulbo burfordiense

Hyalosema grandiflorum

Xvart I started out with Orchids. After I learned more and more about orchids I found myself drawn to the strange and weird orchids. Then I did bought some VFT and nep gracilis from Black Jungle and killed them. Then I picked up another nepenthes from my OS meeting. It was my first ventrata, then did my first trade with Kirk and been hooked ever since. Kirk got me to come here and I started learning. I have been still picking up orchids, but not as fast as CPs. I am more selective with my orchids now. I am still in the get my hands on everything stage of CP collecting.

That's what I figured, based on your TF handle. Any idea how many orchids you grow off the top of your head?

xvart.

I have over 100-140 or so different orchids. I have a few duplicates from devisions I made. Many of my orchids are small gorwers while some are large. You would be amazed how many orchids you could grow in a 12 x 16 area. Not to mention all the CPs. You can see my CP grow list. I haven;t even thought about compiling an orchid grow list. I also have alot of NOids too, and that bothers me because I like to know what I am growing. LOL Unless of course I find it then I get to name it right?

Impressive. Having NOIDs would annoy me, too. I like to have a firm grasp on what I'm growing - especially if I ever get to the point where I start trading heavily.

xvart.

Yes. Well if the person does not mind I trade one for one, but I have been known to trade two for one with NOids for the simple fact that they are unknowns. I have some unknowns that I like and want to keep, but most of them I get looking pretty and try to trade them away. I knwo their general makup and how to grow them, but they are useless for me as breeders in the future. Since that is the ultimate goal. It would be unethical to breed with NoIDS to sell the plants.

Don't go by color because that isn't diagnostic. That Bulbo description says what distinguishes the species and, if you know or can figure out what it's talking about, you should be able to make a proper ID. But it looks cool no matter what the name is.

Yeah I am still trying to get over the fact that color is not a good way to ID something. Since normaly var so and so is only different by color that is why I am stuck on color. The thing is both of these look so much alike except for color. Oh and one is suposed to have a scent. I don;t think mine has a scent so that might be the difference. I guess it si the same thing as Phal. violacea and bellina now being two different species and they look so much alone, but slightly different scents.

Back