What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nun's orchid in bloom now!

tommyr

Gardening freak!
Here are 2 shots taken a few days ago:

Nunsorchid2007_01.jpg

And the whole plant:

Nunsorchid2007_04.jpg

Nice!

Wow. That is massive. I can't tell from the picture; but, is the spike tied to a stick or something or does it naturally stick straight up? Nice job.

xvart.

It looks natural to me... But either way thats one hell of an Orchid!

That is a Bletilla isn;t it?? Mine are still outside and dorment. Very nice BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That is massive. I can't tell from the picture; but, is the spike tied to a stick or something or does it naturally stick straight up? Nice job.

xvart.

No stake involved, sticks up by itself. It's big but not that big. There are bigger specimens at a local garden center in 2-3 gallon pots. One has 10 spikes in it! $50 though. I may have to buy one!

Tom

That is a Bletilla isn;t it?? Mine are still outside and dorment. Very nice BTW

Not sure which, I know it's a Phaius tankervilliae though.

Tom

then it is not a Bletilla. :-D Bletilla is another genus. That one is Phaius.

Nice growing. I like that one.

Do you actually grow it indoors in the North without its leaves folding like an accordion? I've always struggled with orchids having that kind of leaf.

Do you actually grow it indoors in the North without its leaves folding like an accordion? I've always struggled with orchids having that kind of leaf.

It's grown indoors in a west window. It gets afternoon sun. Soil is kept moist, it's a terrestrial orchid and don't like to dry out.

Tom

Do you know your indoor humidity? That seems to be my problem and it's happened to terrestrials and epiphytes. So I've quit growing orchids with thin, broad leaves. And species whose new leaves have to break through a sheath. Both seem susceptible to trouble in low humidity.

Do you know your indoor humidity? That seems to be my problem and it's happened to terrestrials and epiphytes. So I've quit growing orchids with thin, broad leaves. And species whose new leaves have to break through a sheath. Both seem susceptible to trouble in low humidity.

Yup, it's usually between 25 and 60%. I never really worry about humidity with that plant. It's normal spot in a west bedroom window also has near/around it Xmas and thanksgiving cactus, a few Oncidium, a [SIZE=-1]Schefflera[/SIZE] and an overwintering small elephant ear.

Tom

Beautiful orchid you have there. :)

Back