What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harlequin phalaenopsis?

disco

aqua teen hunger force assemble!!
my mom got me another orchid :D i think its a harlequin phal. but i have only had 3 orchids my whole life and never a phal. here are the photos.
harlequinphalaenopsis000.jpg

harlequinphalaenopsis003.jpg

harlequinphalaenopsis005.jpg

and is this another spike growing???
harlequinphalaenopsis007.jpg

harlequinphalaenopsis006.jpg

Nope, that's a root.

-Ben

That's a beautiful plant. Does that tag have a name on it such as Phal. 'Yamaha Kawasaki' x Dtps. 'Sony Sushi' or some other crazy name?

Be careful not to overwater. Sphagnum is too good of a sponge for orchids and a Phal wants to get a little dry between waterings. I expect you'll find it's in a plastic pot inside that clay pot, so it isn't going to lose moisture very quickly. That works well in a tightly controlled greenhouse environment, but it isn't very forgiving of overwaterers like me. If you can develop a calibrated hand, you can tell when it needs watering based on how light it becomes. It'll be easier to tell without the heavy outside pot. It's time to water when the sphagnum is getting dry an inch or two deep in the middle of the pot.

After it's finished blooming, I'd recommend repotting it into something like an orchid bark mix. You can use that clay pot because it looks like a good size for a Phal, although I like to grow them in little wire hanging kitchen baskets. Enjoy.

Great advice!

Jrod. Yes that is a harlequin phalaenopsis. Look at the flowers. None of the spots are the same. Every flower looks different. That makes it a harlequin. Many harlequins do not hold their flowers perfectly flat like most phals either. It is looking good from here. Bruce is right though with bigger pots and sphag it is easy to over water the center of the pot. Since the top layer will dry out and help lock in poisture in the center. That is ususaly where the rot occures is in the center of larger pots. So then you have to ask yourself to you want to resist watering when the top of the sphag is dry or would you want to repot it in bark and have to water every 2 days indoors. Atleast that is how much I have to water since my plants dry out so fast indoors.

to help you get ahold on the watering while it is flowering. Get yourself some bamboo scewers from the grocery store used for shishkabobs(sp). Basicly a long toothpick. Insert in into the center of the pot and if it comes out damn hold off watering until it comes out dry. Then you can feel free to water and water with as much water as you can letting it flush and run through the pot.

the lable that was on it just said phalaenopsis orchid but i was looking around online and i saw one called black jack or something like that and it looked very similar to mine the only difference between the black jack and mine is the leaves were dark green with lighter green stripes and on mine the leaves are just dark green thanks for the advice yall i just wait like a week and feel the sphag and if its dry i put a little water on it. it was very nicely packaged when my mother brought it home to me as well so i think i can keep it going especially now that i have the terra forums lol you all are a huge help to me!!!
Sarah

That's really a Doritaenopsis.

No, I don't think the harlequin are Dtps. And Disco, don't put a little water on it. When It gets dry enough for watering, give it a good soaking. And make sure it has clear drainage and doesn't sit where water can collect at the base.

No, I meant black jack.

HIT ME!!!!

Sarah if it does nothave a label do not give it one. Many hybrids look alike, and cannot be figired out as easily as Nepenthes. If you reread my first post you will see I said to soak it abd let water run freely through the pot when you do water. Then wait for it to dry and use the bamboo scewer method for a while till you get the feel.

Back