What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first 'still living' orchid

Yeah, this is my first still living orchid of unknown nomenclature.

It's still growing and putting out another growing point, so I'm happy!!! even though it looks like it's getting somewhat dehydrated or something like that.

David015.jpg

It looks like one of those Oncidium Alliance plants everybody but me can grow. Some of them will always have that parched look, but I wonder about the root health. What is it growing in, how long have you had it and have you ever repotted it?

I got it last year during the late fall, and no I have not repotted it yet. But I do plan to.
Does it really need a media though? Because Isn't it an epiphyte?

Now's the best time to repot because that new growth means there'll be new root growth too. Most (not all) epiphytes do best in a pot or basket with a freely draining medium, unless you can provide the kind of conditions their ancestors came from.

what about if I got some bark off of an oak or something deep in the woods near my house, and broke it into chuncks and used that as a medium? Because wouldn't that kinda be growing like an epiphyte?

Uhhhhh I guess that could work but you might as well buy fir bark. Who wants to sit around breaking up bark all day?

Oak bark doesn't last very long. Unless it's cork oak, I suppose. The commercial orchid mixes that have bark, charcoal, and other things are a good choice, even though I don't often use them. The bark in those is western conifer bark with high tannins to slow down decay. If you can't find those or are trying to save $, try pine bark instead. You should have plenty of pines in your area or maybe can get a hold of some pine bark mulch. If you try that, use only the most solid pieces. You might need to repot more frequently.

what if I use some tree xylem? JLAP, I used bark because I am currently chopping down trees in my yard and I thought that I could use it.

You mean wood? It'll break down awfully quick in a pot in Florida and the microbes breaking it down will grab all the fertilizer. If you add more, the wood will decay even faster. The orchid will lose that competition.

You're in Florida. You could really just staple it to a tree if you wanted. The plant looks like it's doing well enough to survive some experimentation, so see what works for you. Just make sure water drains freely from the potting medium, or the roots will rot. Good luck...

Back