What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phal help

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Last night I was training my Moms phalaenopsis flower stalk up a stick when the top part of the stalk snapped. :headwall: I didn't notice it until this afternoon.

About half of the stalk is still intact and it seems to support itself fine. (It wasn't leaning orver or dangling, etc)
I decided to tape it in place to prevent it from coming apart any further.

Right now buds are just starting to emerge. Will the buds and stalk keep growing and be ok?
Please give me some positive news...:down:

-Matt

The buds might not survive, but then again if you re-established the flow it might be able to get enough nutrients to the flowers to open them up.

Being that the buds are just starting to emerge and you found it the next morning you may be out of luck.

When training a spike that is not easily bent you need to put several (A LOT) of supposrt every few cm to keep it from snapping.

Is there dormant eyes below the area of the break? If so they may initiate and send out branches of the flower spike, but the current spike might be doomed. Can you take a picture and post it?

Thanks for the reply.

It appears that the plant has been opening the largest bud VERY slowly this past week.

Sorry, what are dormant eyes?
By each node on the stalk it has two little drops of a dewy liquid. Is that what you're talking about?

A picture won't really help too much. Plus I'd rather not mess with the tape I used to secure the stalk together. I'll just have to be extra careful next time, as you said.

-Matt

The eyes are the places where a flower will emerge. Look for the triangle looking flap. The dormant ones are on the spike as you follow the spike back down to the plant where a flower could have been but wasn't. That is a dormant eye. If the flowers did not blast and are starting to open you may have saved enough water flow to the flowers. the flowers open slow anyway and last a long time. Provided you don't let the plant get bone dry like I do sometimes.

Ok, in that case I have 3 or 4 dormant eyes. But I don't need to worry anymore, the buds are getting larger everyday. I must have saved it! :woot:
I'll make sure to keep it moist and fertilized.

Thanks for your help and all the info. I'll make another post when/if they open.

-Matt

Back