What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are they?

• Thread starter DroseraBug
  • Start date

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Hi,

I'm a cper and know virtually nothing about tropical orchids other than the difference between cattleyas and paphs. What are these? Pics were taken at UNC Charlotte.

March2208182.jpg

March2208185.jpg

The top one is a species phalonopsis and the second lookes like a nobile dendrobium to me.

I agree, except that there are some hybrid Phals that are similar. If I had to guess, however, I'd say it's a Phal pallens:

Phalaenopsis%20pallens05.JPG

I'm no expert about identification, by the way, and the only reason I have any confidence about that one is that one of my four remaining "tropical" orchids is a Phal pallens var. denticulata. It's a terrific small-growing Phal species. I've kept only 4 of the ~100 orchids I had as recently as a few years ago and that's one. Mine might end up in this year's NASC auction.

As for the dendrobium, that one doesn't look like it's the species Dendrobium nobile, but instead it's what's known as a nobile-type. That includes lots of hybrids and some other species too. Those are nice plants too. My favorite is Dendrobium aphyllum and I either traded or gave mine away.

Yeah Bruce. Sorry my slip on words. When I say nobile dendrobium I am refuring to the nobile type. I wasn't sure what it was other than that type that drops its leaves then blooms on the leafless canes. :p And if you have pallens and it looks like that. I might have to bid on it or get it out of you in a trade somehow. :-D

Back