What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Dormancy?

So anyway I just got my first orchid, and I was wondering...do orchids have a dormancy period? I know that they usually flower just once a year, but once they are done flowering do they go into a dormancy stage? If they don't, then do they just keep putting out more and more leaves, or just stay the same size or what? Thanks for any replies!!!

Zach

It depends on the species if it requires a dormancy or not. Many just flower once a year, but some will bloom continuously or twice a year or three times a year. There are so man orchids yon can have something in bloom all year long.

As far as growing your paph. It does not require a dormancy. The fan will will stop growing larger once it flowers and will produce a new fan on one side or another and once that is full grown it will flower at the appropriate time.

Back